Crossword clues for concept
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
The Collaborative International Dictionary
Concept \Con"cept\, n. [L. conceptus (cf. neut. conceptum fetus), p. p. of concipere to conceive: cf. F. concept. See Conceit.] An abstract general conception; a notion; a universal.
The words conception, concept, notion, should be
limited to the thought of what can not be represented
in the imagination; as, the thought suggested by a
--Sir W. Hamilton.
Douglas Harper's Etymology Dictionary
n. An understanding retained in the mind, from experience, reasoning and/or imagination; a generalization (generic, basic form), or abstraction (mental impression), of a particular set of instances or occurrences (specific, though different, recorded manifestations of the concept).
A concept is a generalization or abstraction from experience or the result of a transformation of existing ideas. The concept is instantiated (reified) by all of its actual or potential instances, whether these are things in the real world or other ideas. Concepts are treated in many if not most disciplines both explicitly, such as in linguistics, psychology, philosophy, etc., and implicitly, such as in mathematics, physics, etc. In informal use the word concept often just means any idea, but formally it involves the abstraction component.
- Concepts as mental representations, where concepts are entities that exist in the brain (mental objects)
- Concepts as abilities, where concepts are abilities peculiar to cognitive agents (mental states)
- Concepts as Fregean senses (see sense and reference), where concepts are abstract objects, as opposed to mental objects and mental states
In generic programming, a concept is a description of supported operations on a type, including syntax and semantics. In this way, concepts are related to abstract base classes but concepts do not require a subtype relationship.
A concept is an idea, something that is conceived in the human mind.
Concept may also refer to:Aviation
- Berkshire Concept 70, an American sailplane design
- Concept 40, an American sailboat design
- Concept (generic programming), a generic programming term
- In computational learning theory, a subset of the instance space; see Concept class
- Concepts (C++), a proposed extension to C++'s template system
- Concept virus (disambiguation), the name of two pieces of malware
- Conceptualization (information science), organizing principles and objects underlying an abstract, simplified view of the world selected for a particular purpose such as information access
- Concept car, a prototype design
- Concept map, a method for visualizing concepts
- Concept phase, in product life-cycle management
- Concept (album), a 1981 album by The Sylvers
- Concepts (album), a Frank Sinatra album
- Concept album, a popular music album unified by a theme, which can be instrumental, compositional, narrative, or lyrical
- Concept Records, a record label
- DJ Concept, DJ, producer from Long Island, New York
- Concept (board game), a 2014 board game
Concept is the ninth album by the Los Angeles, California-based R&B group The Sylvers.
Concept is an Italian progressive power metal band, formed in 2000.
Concept is a 2014 board game developed by Alain Rivollet and Gaëtan Beaujannot and published by Repos. It was nominated for the Jeu de l'année prize in Cannes in 2014.
Usage examples of "concept".
The absolutist nature of the American Creed, with its ideological faith in Democracy and Freedom, tends to produce etherized, contentless versions of both these concepts.
The concept of nation in Europe developed on the terrain of the patrimonial and absolutist state.
After a few years that archival section is going to begin filling up with some great actionable concepts, worked out in relatively valid detail.
The concept theoretically should be able to impact adversarial situations that apply across the board to high, mid, low, no, or minimal technology threats.
The beauty of this advertisement comes from many elementsfirst, the association with an Italian icon, and second, the brilliant execution that ties so wonderfully to the concept of two kinds of sauce.
Pepper is often described as the first concept album, but it was not initially conceived as such.
Paul does not remember any overt decision by himself and John to write songs with a northern theme, even though these first two would indicate a concept album along those lines.
The existence of an unbreakable algorithm was a concept she was still struggling to grasp.
A concept introduced into the culture, like the Anachronists, to allow a mundane society some practice in the idea of shifting worlds and cultures?
In the physical framework of general relativity and in the corresponding mathematical framework of Riemannian geometry there is a single concept of distance, and it can acquire arbitrarily small values.
For the power of forming concepts must have manifested itself in the primitive man, as is actually the case in the infant, by movements of many sorts before articulate language existed.
The Gulf War gave us perhaps the first fully articulated example of this new epistemology of the concept.
It fails to see that if we take a bunch of egos with atomistic concepts and teach them that the universe is holistic, all we will actually get is a bunch of egos with holistic concepts.
The transformative question is: who or what is aware of both holistic and atomistic concepts?
Witness of those concepts, a Witness that itself is neither holistic nor atomistic, see here the Witness dissolve in an Emptiness that embraces the entire Kosmos.