COLLOCATIONS FROM OTHER ENTRIES
factors are responsible for sth
▪ These underlying factors were responsible for his death.
▪ I’m holding you personally responsible for this mess!
▪ If anything happens to her, I’ll hold you personally responsible.
▪ Which of them is legally responsible for the accident?
▪ The poor weather was partly responsible for the crash.
▪ I shall hold you solely responsible for anything that goes wrong.
COLLOCATIONS FROM CORPUS
▪ The strong bonds in diamond are also responsible for many of its non-abrasive uses.
▪ The administrators are also responsible for interpreting and applying many public policies that set guidelines for the behavior of individuals or groups.
▪ The team member on duty who had completed the initial referral form was also responsible for completing the pre-coded questionnaire.
▪ Funeral directors are also responsible for the success and the profitability of their businesses.
▪ This attitude was also responsible for a new horological invention that was ultimately to be of far-reaching social significance.
▪ To the latter end he was also responsible for establishing a savings bank at Workington, and for various friendly societies.
▪ The Director is also responsible for liaison with government officials and representatives.
▪ Nitrous oxide is also responsible for about six percent of the greenhouse effect.
▪ It is directly responsible for 35,000 deaths from lung cancer and twice this number from other diseases every year.
▪ The woman I had spoken with was directly responsible for deciding what the opportunist was paid.
▪ The constitution also made military leaders directly responsible to the emperor, allowing them to bypass the cabinet.
▪ Severing the umbilical cord between landlords and peasants vastly increased the proportion of the population for which the centre was directly responsible.
▪ In some places, women have been directly responsible for its introduction, whilst in others feminist ideas have influenced the law-makers.
▪ Sender of message and person responsible for delay in clearance will be held directly responsible for possible deaths of thousands.
▪ They are frequently directly responsible for its execution.
▪ Each is now directly responsible for its own marketing, planning, operations, engineering and balance sheet.
▪ He was also largely responsible for rewriting Davis's Handbook of Chemical Engineering in its two-volume format for a second edition.
▪ Reagan, with his extraordinary knack for bringing people together, was largely responsible for this.
▪ As this portrait indicates, Margaret Massingberd was largely responsible for creating much of the garden areas as they still exist today.
▪ The government said the change to chain weights was largely responsible for the higher estimate.
▪ A grand little chap called Willie Workman was largely responsible.
▪ By all accounts, technology is largely responsible for fueling the self-employment trend among the disabled.
▪ Edwin was largely responsible for getting it off the ground.
▪ Immigration trends change Changing immigration trends are largely responsible for the bifurcation in the community.
▪ If the Policyholder is legally responsible, there would be cover.
▪ The skipper is legally responsible for your safety and has the final say over where you go.
▪ Imagine our horror at the thought that we might now be held legally responsible for the tragic results of an inadequate diet.
▪ Legal remedies can ensure that landlords carry out the works for which they are legally responsible.
▪ Remember, that as the carrier, you remain legally responsible for the actions of your subcontract haulier.
▪ Trade unions have become more responsible and democratic.
▪ The trick is to make representatives more responsible or to put in place automatic restraints on spending.
▪ Alan thought men could be more responsible: Men should be more careful.
▪ They tend to be more mature, more responsible, and to come from more affluent homes.
▪ Tomorrow, the new Community Care Act will make local councils more responsible.
▪ Such results may be explained by the hypothesis that serotonin is more responsible for regulating mood than for controlling alcohol cravings.
▪ It's thought he's becoming more responsible.
▪ So far his strategy seems to be working: although younger than William, he occupies a more responsible position.
▪ The alternative - that these lower levels are partly responsible for the development of oesophagitis - is also possible.
▪ Consideration for his successor was partly responsible for his decision to resign short of the seven-year goal, he said.
▪ So inevitably, I feel at least partly responsible.
▪ Most liberals, like other feminists, believe that schools are partly responsible for instilling sexist attitudes into children.
▪ Finally the new adverts themselves were partly responsible for the revival of early 1960s soul music in the late 1980s.
▪ It takes time for this to develop and for people to recognise that they are partly responsible.
▪ Prevailing conditions in the organization and distribution of the popular press were partly responsible for this.
▪ It is sufficient that it was partly responsible for the damage.
▪ We are, each of us, personally responsible for damaging our environment.
▪ Most systems have an executive cabinet, with each member directly and personally responsible for some major area of administration.
▪ She would have been held personally responsible and would almost certainly have fallen from office.
▪ Did this make me personally responsible for more deaths?
▪ Like the sole trader, the partners are personally responsible for paying off any debts the shop may incur.
▪ Now I was not personally responsible for that.
▪ He is held personally responsible for complying with the many rules and regulations that govern its use.
▪ It report points out that, in many developing countries, women are primarily responsible for subsistence farming.
▪ If environmental factors were primarily responsible for its emergence among other populations, can the same be said for male homosexuals?
▪ Even more striking was the upsurge in heavy industry, and for this the State itself was primarily responsible.
▪ Women were also primarily responsible for the household.
▪ Yet even in these households the woman is primarily responsible for performing such tasks.
▪ The militia and citizen patrols remained primarily responsible for control of the black population.
▪ A reduction in the incidence of progressive heart failure was primarily responsible for the reduced mortality.
▪ Why is a woman and not a man primarily responsible for raising the children?
▪ He nodded, avoiding the many eyes that glared at him as though he were solely responsible.
▪ Economics is of course not solely responsible for these changes.
▪ He says another man, Derek McCall, 20, was solely responsible.
▪ Consequently, as social life becomes more complex, the school is increasingly seen as the agency solely responsible for providing solutions.
▪ But it would be a distortion to suggest that de Gaulle and his agents were solely responsible for the eventual unification.
▪ It is not reasonable to expect one person to be solely responsible for fundraising, campaigning or recruitment work.
▪ That person is then solely responsible for any debts the business may incur.
▪ In fact, it wasn't just the twins who were solely responsible for her feeling so exhausted.
▪ What had those educated women in that church, many of them with responsible jobs in London, in common with that story?
PHRASES FROM OTHER ENTRIES
hold sb responsible/accountable/liable (for sth)
▪ He was held not liable as there was a real and imminent danger and he had done what was reasonably necessary.
▪ I hold the police responsible for my son's death Voice over Police denied any knowledge of who was on the bike.
▪ In the past, juries have usually sided with the industry, holding smokers liable for the damage they inflict on themselves.
▪ Please, however, do not think that I hold you responsible, in any way, for my own uncertainty.
▪ She would have been held personally responsible and would almost certainly have fallen from office.
▪ The jury that held Simpson liable consisted of six men and six women, ranging in age from mid-20s to mid-70s.
▪ Then he told Hepzibah he'd hold her responsible!
▪ You can not learn team performance without being part of a team that holds itself mutually accountable for achieving specific performance goals.
EXAMPLES FROM OTHER ENTRIES
▪ He treated me as if I wasn't responsible enough to be given the tools to do my job.
▪ I'm a responsible adult. I can make my own choices.
▪ I would feel responsible if anything happened to the kids.
▪ Mrs Williams says that the hospital was responsible for her husband's death.
▪ Police believe a local gang is responsible for the recent burglaries.
▪ Supporters say the program helps teens become sexually responsible.
▪ The other driver was responsible for the accident, and he should pay for the damage.
▪ Two new programs are being developed to help promote responsible sexual behavior.
▪ We aim to educate our children to become socially responsible citizens.
▪ We never worried about letting Sam babysit our kids - he'd always seemed very responsible and intelligent.
EXAMPLES FROM CORPUS
▪ Another discovery from the early space age was the mechanism responsible for raising intense planet-wide dust storms on Mars.
▪ He saw that it was this very racism that was responsible for forcing blacks into positions of marginality.
▪ Individuals will be responsible for their own personal development plans which will be measured against agreed standards of business performance.
▪ The defendants argued that they were not responsible for his death, as it could not have been foreseen.
▪ The Los Angeles Times is not responsible for changes in prices, dates or itineraries.
▪ The rest will be part-time, seasonal, or contract workers, responsible for designing and choreographing their own careers and retirements.
▪ While the work of Prof Harwood is valuable, cocoa butter is not responsible for the popularity of chocolate.
▪ Who was responsible for this pleasant girl being effectively unemployable?