Crossword clues for quint
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
The Collaborative International Dictionary
Quint \Quint\, n. [F. quinte, fr. L. quintus, quinta, the fifth, quinque five. See Five.]
A set or sequence of five, as in piquet.
(Mus.) The interval of a fifth.
one of a set of quintuplets. [informal]
Douglas Harper's Etymology Dictionary
1520s, "a tax of one-fifth," from Middle French quint, from Latin quintus "the fifth," ordinal to quinque "five" (see quinque-). Used in English of various groups of five since 17c. First attested 1935 as a shortening of quintuplet (American English; British English prefers quin); used originally of the Dionne quintuplets, born May 28, 1934, near Callander, Ontario, Canada.
n. 1 (context music English) an interval of one fifth 2 (''in piquet'') a sequence of five playing cards of the same suit; equivalent to a straight flush in poker 3 (context US English) a quin or quintuplet 4 (context firefighting English) A vehicle used by firefighters that combines the capabilities of a fire engine and a fire truck, having the ability to provide vertical access as well as pump water to fight a fire. 5 quinte; In fencing, the fifth fencer in parrying or attacking position.
A quintuple combination pumper or quint is a fire service apparatus that serves the dual purpose of an engine and a ladder truck. The name quint is derived from the Latin prefix quinque-, meaning five, and refers to the five functions that a quint provides: pump, water tank, fire hose, aerial device, and ground ladders.
Quint may refer to:
- Quintinius Verginix, a character from The Edge Chronicles book series
- Quint, a shipmaker in the series of novels Spider Riders
- quint magazine, a Dubai-based arts & culture magazine
- Peter Quint, a principal character in the novel The Turn of the Screw
- Quint, a professional shark-hunter in Peter Benchley's Jaws (novel), upon which the film franchise is based
- Quintinius, a character in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians books.
- A type of sackbut, a musical instrument
- A free-bass system for the Accordion invented by Bill Palmer
- A type of stop on a pipe organ
Vehicles and equipment:
- The Honda Quint, a subcompact car manufactured by Honda of Japan
- Quint (fire apparatus)
- A tandem bicycle with five seats
In other topics:
- NATO Quint, an informal decision-making group consisting of the EU big four and the United States
- Quint (Jaws character), a character from Jaws
- Quint (fire apparatus), a piece of fire apparatus combining features of an engine and a ladder truck
- Quint (Mega Man), an evil robot in the Mega Man game series
- Quinton Chamberlain, a character in the U.S. TV series Guiding Light
- Quint -, a numerical prefix meaning five
- A component of a graphical GUI scrollbar widget
- Quintuplets, born as part of a multiple birth with five children
Persons with the surname Quint:
- Catherine Guy-Quint, a French politician
- Philippe Quint, a classical violinist
- Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, also known as Charles Quint, ruler of the Holy Roman Empire from 1519 to 1556
Usage examples of "quint".
But they were quite fond of one another now, and Quint was certain that, given time, he would come to love Elizabeth and she him.
There was a grunt and then a head and shoulders appeared, and as Quint stared in amazement, a girl hauled herself up and onto the stone railing.
She swiped a strand of hair from her face and when she did so, Quint caught the resemblance.
Quint schooled his face into the unreadable expression he used when a political opponent made a point that was technically correct but which Quint had no intention of granting him.
Again, she seemed to say this to the terrace behind him, and Quint swore the bushes at the other end rattled at her words.
One reason Quint had chosen Elizabeth was because she possessed the prized blond hair, blue eyes, porcelain skin, and petite form that were currently in fashion.
More than anything else Quint sought a mate with the same goals as he.
While Meeps clucked over the news, Quint read and signed and replied to the various correspondence before him.
She turned and smiled at him, and Quint was caught staring at the full, ripe peach that was her mouth.
It was devious and low, not something that Quint would have normally done, but how else was he supposed to get close to her?
As the housekeeper led Catherine away, Quint tried to give her a reassuring smile.
The last was said so quietly, Quint missed several of the words and it took him a minute to piece the statement together.
Catherine asked, and Quint took the opportunity to direct the topic back at her.
The stables were coming into view, and Quint raised a hand to the boy waiting for them.
She was looking into the distance when she said it, and Quint wondered what she was seeing there.