Crossword clues for carl
- Writer Carmer
- Weathers on-screen
- TWA executive Icahn
- Switzer who played Alfalfa
- Swedish King __ XVI Gustaf
- Son of Rick and Lori Grimes on "The Walking Dead"
- Show biz's Reiner
- Science author Sagan
- Sagan who hosted TV's "Cosmos"
- Sagan or Perkins
- Rick's son on "The Walking Dead"
- Reiner who interviewed a 2,000-year-old man
- Reiner or sbad
- Reiner or Lewis
- Reiner or Hubbell
- Red Sox great Yastrzemski
- Poet/biographer Sandburg
- Perkins of music
- One of the Beach Boys' Wilson brothers
- Olympic track star ___ Lewis
- Novelist Hiaasen or track star Lewis
- Name on the cover of "Cosmos"
- My Morning Jacket's Broemel
- Miranda Cosgrove TV character surnamed Shay
- Main character in "Up"
- Magnate Icahn
- Lewis with nine Olympic golds
- Lewis or Sandburg
- Lewis of track fame
- Lewis of track
- Lenny's pal on "The Simpsons"
- Lenny's friend
- Lenny's buddy on "The Simpsons"
- Lenny's best friend on "The Simpsons"
- Kasell on "Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me!"
- Kasell of "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!"
- Jung or Yastrzemski
- He played Alan Brady
- Hayden of Arizona
- Four-time AL stolen base champion Crawford
- Financier Icahn
- Film director Reiner
- Fenway great Yastrzemski
- Emmy-winning Reiner
- Ed Asner's "Up" role
- Dustin in "All the President's Men"
- Congressman Vinson
- Composer Czernyor Orff
- Composer Czerny
- Composer __ Maria von Weber
- Billionaire Icahn
- Bill Murray's role in "Caddyshack"
- Betz or Reiner
- Bernstein of the Washington Post
- Bernstein of "All the President's Men"
- Bell of Fuel
- Baseball Hall-of-Famer Yastrzemski
- Baseball Hall of Famer Yastrzemski
- Author Carmer
- Athlete Brewer orPainter Schaefer
- Athlete Brewer or Painter Schaefer
- Astrophysicist Sagan
- Astronomer Sagan who wrote "Contact"
- Astronomer Sagan who hosted "Cosmos" before Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- Apollo Creed player Weathers
- Actor-director Reiner
- A Wilson of The Beach Boys
- "The Walking Dead" survivor Grimes
- "The Walking Dead" character Grimes
- "Pale Blue Dot" author Sagan
- "Hoot" author Hiaasen
- "For __" ("Contact" dedication)
- "Cornhuskers" poet Sandburg
- "Contact" author Sagan
- "Blue Suede Shoes" songwriter Perkins
- "Blue Suede Shoes" singer Perkins
- "Blue Suede Shoes" Perkins
- "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" neighbor ___ Brutananadilewski
- 'The Jerk' diector Reiner
- ____ Brewer (legendary Leaf )
- ___ Laemmle, film pioneer who co-founded Universal Pictures
- ___ Brutananadilewski of "Aqua Teen Hunger Force"
- Runner Lewis
- Baseball's Yastrzemski
- Reiner of TV
- Perkins who wrote "Blue Suede Shoes"
- Sagan of "Cosmos" fame
- Poet Sandburg
- 31-Across's first name
- One of the Reiners
- Columnist Rowan
- Journalist Bernstein
- Screwballer Hubbell
- Director Reiner
- Cosmologist Sagan
- Perkins who sang "Blue Suede Shoes"
- Vikings great Eller
- Songwriter Perkins or track legend Lewis
- Rob Reiner's father
- Psychologist Jung
- Sagan or Sandburg
- Track star Lewis
- Missing from 13-Down
- Baseball player Yastrzemski
- Real first name of Alfalfa of the Little Rascals
- Co-worker of Homer on "The Simpsons"
- Astronomer Sagan who wrote "Cosmos"
- Hall-of-Famer Yastrzemski
- Lenny's friend on "The Simpsons"
- Friend of Homer on "The Simpsons"
- Sagan who hosted "Cosmos"
- Jung or Sagan
- Jung or Lewis
- Author Sandburg
- Hubbell of Cooperstown
- Reiner or Sagan
- Actor Weathers
- Scientist Sagan
- Journalist-author Bernstein
- Writer Bernstein
- Composer Orff or von Weber
- Reiner or Sandburg
- Sandburg or Van Doren
- Comic Reiner
- Baseball's Hubbell
- Former Speaker Albert
- Rob Reiner's dad
- Reiner or Bernstein
- Reiner or Carmer
- Sandburg of poetry
- Sandburg or Sagan
- Sagan or Jung
- Man in vehicle, one learning to drive
- Boy's name
- Magic word
- Wilson of the Beach Boys
- Lt.'s superior
- Mr. Reiner
- Track legend Lewis
- Scientist ____ Sagan
- Psychiatrist Jung
- Poet ____ Sandburg
- Olympian Lewis
- Yastrzemski in Cooperstown
- Weathers who played Apollo Creed
- ''Blue Suede Shoes'' writer Perkins
- Weathers in "Rocky"
- Songwriter Perkins
- Senator Hayden
- Sagan or Reiner
- Rob's dad
- Reiner of film
- One of the Vinsons
- Longtime role for Rhea
- Lincoln biographer Sandburg
- Lewis or Reiner
- Jung or Reiner
- Baseball legend Yastrzemski
- Author Hiaasen
- A Reiner
- "Cosmos" author Sagan
- "Carmina Burana" composer Orff
- "Blue Suede Shoes" writer Perkins
- Writer Hiaasen
The Collaborative International Dictionary
Carl \Carl\, n. [Icel, karl a male, a man; akin to AS. ceorl, OHG. charal, G. kerl fellow. See Churl.] [Written also carle.]
A rude, rustic man; a churl.
The miller was a stout carl.
Large stalks of hemp which bear the seed; -- called also carl hemp.
pl. A kind of food. See citation, below.
Caring or carl are gray steeped in water and fried the next day in butter or fat. They are eaten on the second Sunday before Easter, formerly called Carl Sunday.
--Robinson's Whitby Glossary (1875).
Douglas Harper's Etymology Dictionary
masc. proper name, from Middle High German Karl "man, husband" (see carl).
c.1300, "bondsman; common man, man of low birth," from Old Norse karl "man, male, freeman," from Proto-Germanic *karlon-, the same root that produced Old English ceorl "man of low degree" (see churl).\n\nThe Mellere was a stout carle for the nones
Etymology 1 n. A rude, rustic man; a churl. Etymology 2
alt. (context obsolete English) To snarl; to talk grumpily or gruffly. vb. (context obsolete English) To snarl; to talk grumpily or gruffly.
Housing Units (2000): 99
Land area (2000): 0.795821 sq. miles (2.061167 sq. km)
Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km)
Total area (2000): 0.795821 sq. miles (2.061167 sq. km)
FIPS code: 13184
Located within: Georgia (GA), FIPS 13
Location: 34.006635 N, 83.812016 W
ZIP Codes (1990):
Note: some ZIP codes may be omitted esp. for suburbs.
Carl may refer to:
- Carl, Georgia, city in USA
- Carl, West Virginia, an unincorporated community
- Carl (name), includes info about the name, variations of the name, and a list of people with the name
- Canadian Association of Research Libraries (CARL)
- Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries (CARL)
- Carl², a TV series
- "Carl", an episode of television series Aqua Teen Hunger Force
- An informal nickname for a student or alum of Carleton College
Carl is a North Germanic male name meaning "strong man" or "free man". The name originates in Scandinavia. The name equates royal status, it is the first name of many Kings of Sweden including Carl XVI Gustaf. It is popular in Denmark, Iceland, Finland, Norway, Sweden and largely popularized in the United States by Scandinavian descendants. Karl is a Germanic spelling very popular in Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Norway and popularized by German speaking descendants in the USA; Anglo- Saxon- Frankish variant Charles popular in Australia, Canada, France, New Zealand, the UK and the United States; Carlo variant name very popular in Italy and southern Switzerland; Carlos variant name very popular in Spain and Hispanic Latin America. Karol variant name in Poland and Slovakia.
Usage examples of "carl".
It was written as a repertory piece to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the founding of the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Society and was the culmination of a three-year collaboration with the American composer Carl Davis, who had made three previous albums with the RLPO.
Once a Forest Service vendido, Carl Abeyta, had caught Joe with a dead deer, a huge electric lamp, no license, and out of season to boot, and it cost Joe a hundred dollars plus a week hi the Chamisa County Jail.
Carl Abeyta in the Chamisa County Milagro district headquarters for a bunch of bulletproof vests.
The Project Gutenberg EBook of On War, by Carl von Clausewitz This eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever.
He went quickly through the tiny airlocked decontamination chamber that Carl Anders, head of the IMA lab, had recently installed.
Juanita and Carl Deerhorn were already inside, the scent of brewing coffee filling the house.
Two days later he handed me a requisition form for three new dogs, which I was to pick up from Carl Spitz, owner of the Hollywood Dog Training School, and the one who had worked with the 1st Platoon before it went overseas.
Thir wis two blank clicks before Carl managed tae git it back eftir a struggle which wis gittin a wee bit nasty.
Cunt you, eh Billy, Carl goes, ehs face as rid as the fuckin hand oan the flag.
Carl gets splattered in the face wi gob, n the cunt goes mad, runs forward n batters this one boy.
Carl goes, wrappin an airm roond Terry, then pullin at the cunt, forcin him tae brek ehs stare at me.
Gin it hadna been an auld carl, Robin Ruthven, Auchtermuchty wad at that time hae been ruined and lost for ever.
Carl did the work secretly at a Mexican lab where he was already working in Level Four on a hantavirus of the same name.
Kapellmeister Bach of Leipzig had arrived with his son Wilhelm, having journeyed there to visit another son, Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach, harpsichordist to King Frederick.
Eh used tae embarrass Carl n me by wearin the Killie skerf when they played at Easter Road or Tynie.