COLLOCATIONS FROM OTHER ENTRIES
a principle applies
▪ The same principle applies to all kinds of selling.
a restriction applies to sb/sth
▪ These travel restrictions don’t apply to tourists.
▪ He applied for a patent for a new method of removing paint.
apply criteria (=use them)
▪ There are certain criteria you should apply when buying a computer.
apply for a course
▪ The following year she applied for a nursing course.
apply for a grant
▪ We could apply for a grant and start a serious research programme.
apply for a job
▪ I’ve applied for a job at the university.
apply for a licence
▪ A doctor who moves to another state must apply for a license to practice medicine there.
apply for a passport
▪ You can apply for an Italian passport if your parents are Italian.
apply for a permit
▪ Farmers must apply for permits to use the new chemicals.
apply for a position
▪ I decided to apply for the position of head teacher.
apply for a post
▪ I am writing to apply for the post of secretary.
apply for a visa
▪ I applied for a visa to visit China.
apply for entry
▪ The number of people applying for entry into the country is increasing every year.
apply for membership (=officially ask to be a member)
▪ To apply for membership, simply return the attached form.
apply for permission (=ask for official written permission)
▪ The company has applied for permission to drill for oil.
apply for university
▪ I applied for university without any real idea of what I wanted to do.
apply for/seek/be granted asylum
▪ He has been granted asylum in France.
▪ Clean the surface before applying the paint with a brush or roller.
apply the brakesformal (= use them)
▪ Apply the brakes as you approach the roundabout.
apply/enquire within (=used on notices on the outside of buildings)
▪ Baby rabbits for sale. Enquire within.
ask for/apply for a loan
▪ He asked his father for a loan.
regulations apply to sth
▪ The regulations also apply to new buildings.
the rule applies to sb/sth (=it concerns them)
▪ Everyone thinks that the rule doesn’t apply to them.
▪ Why do we not apply the same logic in the way we treat animals?
COLLOCATIONS FROM CORPUS
▪ This also applies to a few P1 units which take a column of C cells end-to-end.
▪ The new Jan. 22 due date also applies to taxpayers in Washington, Mr Keith adds.
▪ That has created a precedent which, it is argued, could also apply to the presidential term.
▪ They were also applying for a television license at the same time.
▪ The directive also applies to objects not returned at the end of a lawful temporary export.
▪ Marginalism also applies to government tax policy.
▪ This also applies, to a degree, to some lower-ranking villages.
▪ When the policy and practice were challenged, the court of appeals also applied the three-pronged Lemon test: 1.
▪ Both theories apply equally to issues of law and fact.
▪ These dimensions apply equally to employees of new fishnet organizations and to team members working outside traditionally defined business spaces.
▪ All this is quite generally true, it applies equally to motor skills, perceptual skills and social skills.
▪ Whether these characterizations apply equally well in all situations for all philosophical traditions is a question that I leave open.
▪ Many of the above difficulties apply equally to the retirement of a shareholding director.
▪ Antitrust laws should be made to apply equally to all.
▪ The undertaking is applied equally to the House of Lords.
▪ What has previously been said about development applies equally well to the periods of development about to be discussed.
▪ The terraced house in Station Road, Darlington, is already in multiple occupancy and retrospective planning permission had been applied for.
▪ These arrangements, however, only affect policies that were applied for after the April 1987 deadline.
▪ It can be useful to ask yourself whether the profile that emerges is one that suits the job you are applying for.
▪ But you don't need to apply for or take a Compact job if you don't want to!
▪ I, too, have lost count of the number of jobs I've applied for.
▪ Try and pick out the aspects of your background which make you especially suitable for the job you have applied for.
▪ The more limits you have and the more limits you apply for, the greater the cost.
▪ You may apply for as many different courses as you wish.
▪ The duty only applies in respect of dwellings and does not apply to commercial or industrial properties.
▪ The public may think the law applies only to the most dangerous offenders, but inmates know otherwise.
▪ This extra bonus applies only to the war boar and not to the Orc rider.
▪ Now, granted, these rules apply only to the smallest kids who are learning the game.
▪ The settlement terms only apply to Los Angeles County.
▪ The changes will apply only to new contracts taken out on or after April 6 this year.
▪ The foregoing analysis applies only to the inclusion of blacks within the Richmond set-aside program.
▪ However, the advice about seeking professional help still applies.
▪ All the points covered then, both for and against, still apply now, as this unit remains unchanged.
▪ That still applies and it may prove difficult to finance.
▪ Nevertheless the Regulations still apply to such a contract.
▪ Surprisingly, I find that all my reasons for postponing giving birth still apply: I don't particularly like children.
▪ Cynics would suggest that an under-the-counter version of this system still applies - but they would be wrong.
▪ You can still apply to the Rent Officer to fix a Fair Rent for your accommodation.
▪ When this is not as a substitute for the individual fund balance sheets, the argument about incomprehensibility still applies.
▪ If you live in separate districts you must apply to both the registrars of both districts.
▪ The Bill provides for the right to apply to and have papers considered by the adjudicator.
▪ This applies to, for example, gold, petroleum, copper, iron ore, lead, silver, nickel and zinc.
▪ Careers teachers are advising worried pupils to contact the colleges they applied to directly.
▪ They will apply to almost all workplaces.
▪ It is not legally necessary for the same notice entitlement to apply to both you and your employer.
▪ Courses would have elements which applied to both professional and to amateur musicians.
▪ But how does this ministry apply to today's church?
▪ Under my construction, the Act would apply to all customers in all the enumerated places of public accommodation.
▪ And yet there remains the fact, noted at the outset, that the Act applies to violence and violent threats in private.
▪ Keep in mind that the federal Fair Credit Act applies to online purchases as well.
▪ The Act does apply in negligence, nuisance, and actions under the rule in Rylands v Fletcher.
▪ It is unclear whether the Act applies to trespass to the person but apparently it does.
▪ The court ruled that the Federal Advisory Committee Act does not apply to such subcommittee working groups.
▪ Section 2 of the Unfair Contract Terms Act applies here.
▪ Mrs Thatcher is anxious to apply the brakes.
▪ She saw his physical symptoms as evidence that he was trying unsuccessfully to apply the brakes on a natural evolutionary process.
▪ That's because with intervention stocks rising, the Commission has to apply the brakes.
▪ If the driver does not respond, a back-up system automatically applies the brakes or makes less engine power available.
▪ The same applies to the brakes.
▪ Seasoned observers have no doubt that the vocal response of so many has been instrumental in applying a brake.
▪ Stand by the bicycle, apply the front brake and try to push the bicycle forwards.
▪ The same principles would apply in the case of a club.
▪ What constitutional considerations apply in cases of libel or slander?
▪ Thus the First Amendment did not apply to this case since the discharge of the teachers was not a state action.
▪ The official departmental view is that no case is exactly like another, and hard and fast rules can not be applied.
▪ In resolving these conflicts, the courts establish legal principles that apply to similar cases.
▪ If this is so, s 7 may apply in some cases.
▪ The same team-based approach was applied in all cases, and it worked everywhere.
▪ Creditors have applied for a court order to take over and sell the building.
▪ Shariia is strictly applied by religious courts, and even the punishments for violations of the law are specified in the Koran.
▪ It must be applied in our courts.
▪ More habitual bankrupts have to apply to the court after five years and argue their case.
▪ Within a week she had applied to the court for a widow's pension.
▪ He may apply to the court if his right to redeem is disputed.
▪ If they still do not pay, the council can apply to the magistrates court for a summons to be served.
▪ What prospect has the prisoner of redress if he abandons the complaints procedure and applies to the courts?
▪ This is just like the sweep stroke where we extend the reach to apply more force.
▪ The same argument is supposed to apply now with equal force.
▪ In order to achieve this acceleration he must apply a force much greater than the weight of his ann.
▪ When they pushed at the end of the arm, they were applying force farther from the fulcrum.
▪ The same argument applies with even greater force to the parliamentary candidates - Jones, Thorne, Davis and Gardner.
▪ All, with the possible exception of employer conflicts, apply with equal force to dropout rates from public schools.
▪ Once again Charles applied superior force, and many of the rebels immediately submitted.
▪ If they used a shorter pencil, they had to apply more force because they were pushing closer to the fulcrum.
▪ He applied for a grant of land and this was sold to him for a nominal sum.
▪ Sniffen said he has applied for other grants but has come up empty.
▪ We applied for a grant from the National Heritage Memorial Fund on the basis that its support alone could save the church.
▪ Back in November, the state allowed cities that host major-league teams to apply for special grants for improvements to keep them.
▪ We applied for grants from a number of grant-giving bodies.
▪ Institutions can only apply for one grant per year.
▪ Project staff will help you to apply for the available grants and carry out practical work.
▪ By summer 1990, 44 schools had successfully applied for grant maintained status.
▪ One of these, a young man called Steve Fields, had applied for a job as a paint sprayer.
▪ There is just one problem: I lied about my age when I first applied for the job because of age-discrimination fears.
▪ I applied for a job on Query and got it.
▪ The teacher, Hett, had applied for a job at another school and had listed the superintendent as a reference.
▪ BHis biggest hurdle, however, may come when he applies for a job.
▪ The speculation might have been premature but Rioch has since applied for the job.
▪ Such a record, which is not erasable, can be held against people when applying for jobs.
▪ Until recently, however, it was thought that these laws did not apply to the beginning of the universe.
▪ The public may think the law applies only to the most dangerous offenders, but inmates know otherwise.
▪ The second is: is the law we have being applied?
▪ As in many other areas of the law, the standard applied is what the reasonable person would believe under similar circumstances.
▪ In humans, biology grants even more, but the same laws apply.
▪ The state, on the other hand, insisted that the compulsory laws applied to all children, without exception.
▪ By Newton's third law the skin applies an equal force back and the molecule reverses direction.
▪ This law applies to purchases of $ 25 or more.
▪ To apply for Membership and to claim your free introductory book, simply complete, sign and return the Membership Application.
▪ After I had published a dozen pieces, I could apply for full membership.
▪ Britain has also persuaded our partners to welcome new countries who apply for Community membership.
▪ She says she once applied for membership in the party, but never knew whether she had been accepted.
▪ This does not apply to membership or employment in any public body, e.g., an electricity authority.
▪ A number of other institutions have recently applied for corporate membership.
▪ It was about this time that Fred McKinley was invited to apply for membership.
▪ The Society has also applied for membership of the Association of Independent Museums.
▪ There is, however, considerable pressure in many parts of the world to apply these methods as screening tests.
▪ Quality assurance must be an ongoing improvement activity applying multiple methods most suited to content. 5.
▪ The Survey's ability to apply vector electromagnetic methods to hydrogeological and other near-surface site-investigation work was studied.
▪ Not everyone agrees that it is appropriate and desirable to apply the scientific method to politics.
▪ The same suggestion applies to methods of establishing the existence and contents of bill of lading telecommunications.
▪ It applied the methods of Kent campus to imaginary grievances in a divided, or divisible, community in Northern Ireland.
▪ In order to apply this method to large-scale problems, we must find the tree T B using the pointers available.
▪ But there is large-scale agreement that the aim is explanation by applying the methods of natural science.
▪ A developer could go ahead without applying for planning permission, or could even ignore a refusal of permission.
▪ The owner of a sterile racehorse named Cigar said he would apply for permission to replicate the beast.
▪ It also applied for planning permission to dump at another site it owned at Barnahely, Ringaskiddy.
▪ Detectives are applying to magistrates for permission to hold them for a further 24 hours.
▪ The Fowlers claim just 3 weeks after he bought the property, Mr Mackarness had applied for planning permission.
▪ This would require farmers to apply for planning permission as is the case with other commercial or industrial developments.
▪ The final decision on where to apply for planning permission to build is certain to be taken on political grounds.
▪ The same applies for the post of Sun Microsystems Computer Corp's vice president of marketing.
▪ Three of the committee members have applied for council posts, negating their earlier commitments not to.
▪ I applied for the occasional post that I thought might be interesting, but never heard anything back.
▪ Students are eligible for a loan during the sandwich or placement year and may apply by post.
▪ Originally I'd hoped to apply for Scale 2 posts ... but there are very few jobs, now.
▪ A similar procedure should be applied to all research posts.
▪ Pregnancy is acceptable, but should a woman lose her baby she will lose her right to apply for such a post.
▪ They became close friends, and when Arnet died in 1728 Hooper applied for the vacant post.
▪ If you have a nose bleed, apply pressure to the nose by pinching the nostrils together for about ten minutes.
▪ Thee government, but it had then successfully applied steady and persistent pressure to force Park to reestablish civilian government.
▪ While applying this pressure, the horse should not move or flinch away.
▪ Super slow-motion replays appeared to show O'Driscoll did not apply downward pressure on the ball.
▪ The government is applying pressure, too.
▪ Bjorn applied pressure in a tense finale by putting his drive on the fairway.
▪ In part, this was because he still thought he could make Stalin behave by applying economic pressure.
▪ The same principles would apply in the case of a club.
▪ The affirmative action principle could be applied to virtually all economic or social goods.
▪ Puzzle number two is that other changes in financial markets were meanwhile making it easier for such principles to apply.
▪ The same principles apply: accuracy, detail.
▪ Lawrence sought to see how the domain principle might apply in mice.
▪ The shared earnings principle can also be applied to individual pay.
▪ The principle applies even with very small conferences.
▪ You must distinguish the two cases to know which management discipline and principles to apply.
▪ Britain won an important concession-a 15-year transition period during which the regulation would not apply.
▪ Whose regulations apply to whom and where?
▪ He said the regulations did not apply to the whole building, only to the alterations carried out.
▪ A requirement imposed by regulations shall not apply to any follower of the Sikh religion while he is wearing a turban.
▪ Statutory regulations applying to the industry state that all machines must be fitted with a guard.
▪ This definition does not affect each nation's own definition and the regulation does not apply to trade between member states.
▪ These regulations apply to all personnel on site, including visitors.
▪ The regulations also apply to new buildings and alterations and extensions of existing buildings.
▪ However, the same rule applies to evening classes as to joining clubs - it must be a subject that really interests you.
▪ But under the arcane House rules that applied, the outcome actually was much closer.
▪ Perform a private lap dance for him where standard club rules apply, e.g. the audience can look but not touch.
▪ No matter how powerful the political interests, the same rules must apply to all.
▪ This rule did not always apply but was judge made.
▪ However, the rule is irresponsible if applied generally.
▪ In other environments the raising and lengthening rule does not apply.
▪ But you lose your head in this crazy hellhole, you do, and different rules apply.
▪ The circumstances in which section 75 applies are set out in Chapter 23.
▪ Two other caveats: First, what we have discussed in this section applies to service delivery, not regulation.
▪ The Regulations make clear that these sections do not apply to any private companies, whether limited by shares or guarantee.
▪ It would appear that the effect of the section will be to apply a fault based regime to new products.
▪ Accordingly the other subsections of section 4 and section 5 do not apply to section 15.
▪ However, others did not satisfy the requirement and the section did apply with respect to those particular transfers.
▪ We suppose that the Boussinesq approximation may be made and so the discussion of dynamical and thermal similarity in Section 14.5 applies.
▪ If section 6 applies, the contract is void.
▪ However, it no more obliges me to apply without question your standards to you than mine to myself.
▪ The students argued that the school discriminated against them by applying more lenient standards to minority applicants.
▪ That he went grossly wrong in applying the standard does not mean that the standard as such was inapplicable.
▪ Professionals have to be wary of applying their own standards.
▪ Gradually, I was made to feel unpopular and I applied these new standards to him.
▪ Plans are under way to apply the technique to other types of cancer as well.
▪ Gandhi applied a technique of combat which turned the traditional docility of the gentle Hindu into heroism.
▪ This issue comprises an extensive effort to apply economic modelling techniques and other analytical approaches to policy issues in a specific sector.
▪ A final problem with applying traditional measurement techniques to white-collar professional groups was that traditional measurement focused primarily on efficiency.
▪ Public awareness of the value of applying these techniques to archaeology has increased in consequence.
▪ Texas Instruments, for example, is finding good success with applying data compression techniques to the training sets.
▪ However, a number of problems confront investigators applying this technique to studies of alcoholic liver disease.
▪ As if to compensate for this, he applied military techniques in the colony.
▪ The Workhouse Act of 1723 had empowered parishes to apply a workhouse test by denying relief to those who refused to enter.
▪ It is not clear precisely how the Commission will apply these tests.
▪ But the House of Lords refused to apply the but for test.
▪ The claim by the widow was allowed by the court applying the direct consequence test for remoteness.
▪ They would in fact be applying a test for review not dissimilar to the one about to be examined. 2.
▪ As will be seen the courts have not applied this test literally.
PHRASES FROM OTHER ENTRIES
applied science/physics/linguistics etc
▪ If applied linguistics is left exclusively to an elite band of researchers, then the whole object of the exercise disappears.
▪ Introduction to nonlinear problems with emphasis on practical modelling, illustrative examples from pure and applied science, and use of computers.
▪ Since then, there has been a steady output of research within this branch of applied linguistics.
▪ Supported by four applied science courses covering the biology, entomology and pathology of seeds, and plant breeding.
▪ There is a very pervasive belief that it is research in theoretical and applied linguistics which provides the solutions.
▪ These four key elements are well developed and widely shared within the research communities of every natural and applied science.
▪ These will include basic skills as well as specialised competences in areas of applied physics.
▪ Why are engineering, medicine and agriculture not all grouped together as applied sciences?
EXAMPLES FROM OTHER ENTRIES
▪ "I still haven't received my passport" "When did you apply?"
▪ Apply the cream in the morning and the evening.
▪ Apply the lotion evenly over the skin.
▪ Finland did not apply to join the EC until 1992.
▪ How many jobs had you applied for before you were offered this one?
▪ Make sure the surface is completely dry before applying the final coat of paint.
▪ Many of the restrictions no longer apply.
▪ On wet or icy roads, apply the brakes gently.
▪ Some of the children seem unable to apply what they have learned.
▪ The crystal vibrates when a small electric current is applied to it.
▪ There are several tests you can apply to find out how old a tree is.
▪ You can't apply policies designed for a big country like the United States to a small country like Cuba.
EXAMPLES FROM CORPUS
▪ Aisha applied and was told that the dass was already full.
▪ However this is beginning to apply to classroom video materials too as more and more people today have video machines at home.
▪ I alternate the direction of these strokes, imitating the direction I use to apply the pastel in the first place.
▪ It is noteworthy that more than half did equivalent or higher level courses than those they applied for at the institutions we covered.
▪ The same applies to the male.
▪ They try to apply pressure on both the masons and the material suppliers.
▪ Use the brush to soften the outline, then pencil over lips before applying lipstick.