Whaley is a small village in Derbyshire, England, located one mile from Whaley Thorns, 1½ miles from Elmton, 1½ miles from Langwith and 2½ miles from Bolsover (where the population is included).
The village has a pub, garage and a former watermill, now a home, of which the large mill pond still survives.
Set in arable farmland, the village was a farming settlement, and remains so to this day with several farming families living in the village. The Diocese of Derby archives record that there was an ancient chapel in the village, but no traces of that remain. A school, known as St Mary's Mission, and school house were built in the 1860s but both these are now residential.
There are three pre-historic rock shelters behind the former school, on Magg Lane and opposite the pub, the Black Horse. These are linked to the Creswell Crags.
Scarcliffe Park, an area of woodland to the south end of the village, has Bronze Age and Roman remains. It is surrounded by a Pale ditch.
The village is a Conservation Area and has an active residents' association. The majority of the buildings are constructed from the local limestone.
The Waterworks on Whaley Moor featured in Channel 4 series, Grand Designs.
Whaley is a village in Derbyshire, England.
Whaley may also refer to:
- Whaley (surname)
- Whaley Bridge, town in Derbyshire, England
- Whaley Thorns, village in Derbyshire, England
- Whaley Lake, reservoir in Dutchess County, New York, United States
- Whaley House (disambiguation), several buildings
- A Royal Navy Jackspeak term for Whale Island, Hampshire
Whaley is a surname. Notable people with the surname include:
- Bill Whaley (1899–1943), American baseball player
- Davyd Whaley, American painter
- Doug Whaley (born 1972), American football executive
- Frank Whaley (born 1963), American actor
- George Whaley, Irish politician
- Henry H. Whaley, American mayor
- Janice Whaley, American musician
- John Corey Whaley (born 1984), American writer
- Kellian Whaley (1821–1876), American politician
- Lindsay J. Whaley, American linguist
- Michael Whaley, American actor
- Nan Whaley, mayor of Dayton, Ohio
- Paul Whaley, American rock drummer
- Richard S. Whaley (1874–1951), American politician
- Robert Whaley (born 1982), American basketball player
- Robert H. Whaley (born 1943), American judge
- Robert J C Whaley, American banker
- Ross S. Whaley, American forester
- Ruth Whitehead Whaley, American lawyer
- Simon Whaley (born 1985), English footballer
- Suzy Whaley, American golfer
- Thomas Whaley (1823–1890), American settler
- Thomas Whaley (politician) (1766–1800), Irish politician