Vshchizh was an old Russian town on the Desna River (today's Bryansk Oblast) between the 11th and 13th centuries. Vshchizh was first mentioned in a chronicle of 1142. In the mid-12th century, it was an appanage town of Prince Svyatoslav Vladimirovich. In 1238, Vshchizh was destroyed by the Mongols.
As a result of the excavations in the 1840s and then in 1940 and 1948–1949 (by a Soviet archaeologist Boris Rybakov), they found the remnants of different buildings and fortifications and a number of artifacts. This quiet spot has been Fyodor Tyutchev's inspiration for many of his poems.