Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
n. A building that houses the local government offices of a town.
n. a government building that houses administrative offices of a town government
A town hall is a building housing a town government.
Town Hall may also refer to: __NOTOC__
The Old Town Hall of Lakeville, Massachusetts, is located at 2 Precinct Street. The two story wood frame building was built in 1856, and is an excellent example of a 19th-century Greek Revival town hall. The building originally housed town offices as well as hosting town meetings; it is now used primarily for the latter function.
The hall was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
The Old Town Hall is a historic former municipal building at 90 Post Road East in Westport, Connecticut. Built in 1908 as the town's first purpose-built municipal office building, it is unusual architecturally for using cobblestones within a design that is, overall, Classical Revival in style. In 1979 Westport moved its munical offices to a rehabilitated grade school building.
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
The Town Hall of Sandwich, New Hampshire, is located on Maple Street ( New Hampshire Route 113) in the village of Center Sandwich. The two-story wood frame building was built in 1913, on the foundation of the old town hall, which was destroyed by fire. The Colonial Revival building was designed by J. Randolph Coolidge, a Boston-based architect who summered in the town. The main facade has a temple-front appearance, although it is achieved with four pilasters rather than columns, supporting a fully pedimented gable end. The building's ground floor houses town offices, while the second floor houses an auditorium with stage that is the only facility of its type in the town.
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Town Hall (Castle Hall), also known as the Zionsville Town Hall, is a historic town hall located at Zionsville, Boone County, Indiana. It was built in 1902, and is a two-story, rectangular red brick building measuring 54 feet wide and 80 feet deep. It features a stepped gable end. The interior was remodeled in 1935 to house a movie theater. The building also housed a local chapter of the Knights of Pythias.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
Usage examples of "town hall".
Only the Town Hall remained, a pure and radiant altar, tended by the little group which had appeared upon its balcony.