Crossword clues for sain
- "Spahn and ___, and pray for rain"
- Spahn's former companion in Boston
- Ex-pitcher Johnny
- Spahn's pitching partner
- Three-time All-Star pitcher Johnny who threw the first major league pitch to Jackie Robinson
- Pitching great
- Johnny who was the last pitcher to face Babe Ruth
- Johnny who pitched with Warren Spahn
- Former Braves pitcher: 1942-51
- Boston Braves teammate of Spahn
- "Spahn and ___ and pray for rain" (Boston Braves catchphrase)
- "Spahn and ___ and pray for rain!"
- Pitcher Johnny who completes the old rhyme, "Spahn and ___ and pray for rain"
- Pitching coach Johnny
- 1940's-50's All-Star Johnny
- Spahn teammate Johnny
- Bygone pitching star Johnny
- Famed Boston pitcher
- Spahn teammate in the 40's
- Former Boston pitcher
- Johnny of the '40s Braves
- World Series pitcher: 1948
- Pitcher who became a coach
- Braves' pitcher of yore
The Collaborative International Dictionary
Sain \Sain\, obs. p. p. of Say, for sayen.
Sain \Sain\, v. t. [Cf. Saint, Sane.]
To sanctify; to bless so as to protect from evil influence.
--Sir W. Scott.
Douglas Harper's Etymology Dictionary
"to cross oneself; to mark with the sign of the cross," Old English segnian, from Latin signare "to sign" (in Church Latin "to make the sign of the Cross"); see sign (n.). A common Germanic borrowing, cognate with Old Saxon segnon, Dutch zegenen, Old High German seganon, German segnen "to bless," Old Norse signa.
vb. 1 (context transitive archaic English) To make the sign of the cross on or over something or someone. 2 (context intransitive obsolete except in Scots English) To make the sign of the cross. 3 (context transitive archaic English) To bless, to keep from evil influence.
Sain (Welsh for Audio, ), in full – Recordiau Sain Cyf (Audio Records Ltd) is a Welsh record label, which was in the Welsh folk revival.
Cwmni Sain was founded in Cardiff in 1969 by singers and songwriters Dafydd Iwan and Huw Jones, and businessman Brian Morgan Edwards, as a home for Welsh-language rock and folk music, which was otherwise finding it difficult to 'break through' in the UK market. Sain is regarded as being the first Welsh record company to be self-sufficient in terms of independence from other British companies, and laid the foundation for subsequent Welsh labels.
The company released its first single in October 1969, Huw Jones' "Dŵr" (Welsh for Water), a song about the drowning of the Tryweryn Valley, in the north-west of Wales, to form Llyn Celyn reservoir. Many of the company’s early releases were recorded at the Rockfield Studios in Monmouthshire. In the early 1970s Sain moved to the Caernarfon area, and opened their first recording studio in 1975 near Llandwrog. Musicians who have recorded for the label include Meic Stevens and Geraint Jarman.
Today Sain remains the biggest producer of music of Wales, covering traditional, folk, rock, pop, hip-hop, rap, country and classical music.
The label has several subsidiaries including Crai, which was founded in 1988 and has released music by Yr Anhrefn, Mike Peters and Big Leaves, as well as a series of Crai Tecno compilations featuring Welsh dance music artists.
Rasal Cyf. is the latest label, and this signs young Welsh bands.
Maartin Allcock has produced many Sain albums. The label's Chief Executive is now Dafydd Roberts.
Sain is a Welsh record label .
Sain may also refer to:
- Sain (magazine), Australian music magazine
- Serer people their surnames which is location-based and has no link to Welsh
- Bhagat Sain (14th and 15th centuries), king of Rewa, disciple of Bhagat Ramanand
- Édouard Alexandre Sain (1830–1910), a French painter
- Johnny Sain (1917–2006), American baseball player
- Oliver Sain (1932–2003), American musician and record producer
- Pappu Sain (born c. 1962), Pakistani dhol player
- Sain Zahoor (born c. 1937), Pakistani Sufi musician
SAIN may refer to:
- Sustainable Agriculture Innovation Network, UK-Chinese initiative
Usage examples of "sain".
At his words, Sain tensed beneath his touch and the spark in her eyes faded.
Barely older than Sain for one thing, third wife and married less than a year.
Sain, Sirket and Dau, Efi, Vida and Noi, little Mie and the unknown son or daughter that Sain is to bear.
Even Sain would be roused to protest, albeit with her endless excruciating apologies, if I started giving Hanyad orders.
What if Sain, in her grief, her new Daish son fatherless, turned to wed Chazen Sanl, whose remaining wife was also carrying a child of Daish blood?
He need be nowhere near, cosily ensconced with Sain in the southern residence.
The man who was her husband addressed her as Nai, which just means Woman, but the other men said courteously Sain Nai.
The Sain Nai, like the men, dipped her bits of meat barely long enough to warm them, and ate them nearly raw.
Magda recognized it, and agreed to go to Sain Scarp in the guise of a Free Amazon to rescue Peter.
At the time Magda Lome masqueraded as a Free Amazon to reach Sain Scarp, Rayna was enroute to Nev-arsin with Jaelle, Camilla, and others from this Guild House.
When we received the word from Sain Scarp, he was in the room with us, and he thought it a tremendous joke.
But my husband has forbidden me, once and for all, to go near Sain Scarp on any such mission.
But if the Gods are kind you will get to Sain Scarp, and, hopefully, back again, without using it.
She must not only be at Sain Scarp by midwinter, but she must leave some leeway for return to Thendara before the winter storms closed the passes.
She strained her ears to listen, thinking, if they are from Sain Scarp, they might know something of Pedro.