Plentong began as a Kangchu settlemement known as Tey Chu Kang in 1859 and then an old Chinese new village that is now a busy town in Johor Bahru District, Johor, Malaysia. Surrounded by Permas Jaya, Taman Johor Jaya , Bandar Seri Alam , Taman Ria and Bandar Tebrau, its main traffic junction ( Jalan Masai Lama and Jalan Permas Utara) is heavily congested with traffic crawling up to 3 kilometres in each direction on some days.
Plentong is the headquarters of the Malacca-Johor archdiocese, known as Majodi centre and also has a Catholic Saint Joseph Church. Other places of worship include several mosques, Hindu temples and Chinese clan temples. One of the largest granite quarries in Johor is located nearby. There is also a railway station on the Kempas- Pasir Gudang line which largely services cargo trains. Mukim Plentong which covers much of Johor Bahru town, Permas Jaya, Pasir Gudang etc. is the most populous Mukim in Johor and one of the most populous in Malaysia with over 500,000 residents.
Plentong village suffered extensive flooding due to a poor water drainage system. The government cooperated with KTM Berhad (Malaysian Train Service Company) to rebuild the KTM Plentong Bridge in order to facilitate the flow of Sungai Plentong during rainy season. The whole project cost about 50 million and as of July 2009, the train bridge is in the early stage of construction.