Crossword clues for pell
- Grant name
- Big name in student grants
- __-mell: disorderly
- ___ Grant (federal scholarship)
- Senator associated with grants for college students
- Rhode Island's senator
- Rhode Island Senator
- Name associated with college grants
- Green liquid in the bathroom
- Eponym of a federal college grant
- College grant name
- -- -mell (disorderly)
- -- -mell
- ___ mell
- ___ Grants
- ___ Grant (government college aid)
- ___ Grant (federal college assistance program)
- ___ Grant (college financial aid source)
- Claiborne of Rhode Island
- Former Rhode Island Senator
- ___-mell (helter-skelter)
- ___ Grant (college scholarship)
- Study grant named for a senator
- Educational grant named for a senator
- Study grant named after a Rhode Island senator
- Big name in educational funding
- Big name in educational grants
- ___ Grant (college financial aid)
- Student grant named for a senator
- R.I. Senator
- Rhode Island senator for whom an education grant is named
- Senator from R.I.
- Senator from Rhode Island
- Senator from R.I
- Kind of grant
- Senator that gave his name to a federal aid grant
The Collaborative International Dictionary
Pell \Pell\, n. [OF. pel, F. peau, L. pellis a skin. See Fell a skin.]
A skin or hide; a pelt.
A roll of parchment; a parchment record.
Clerk of the pells, formerly, an officer of the exchequer who entered accounts on certain parchment rolls, called pell rolls. [Eng.]
Pell \Pell\, v. t. [Cf. Pelt, v. t.]
To pelt; to knock about. [Obs.]
Douglas Harper's Etymology Dictionary
"a parchment," mid-15c., earlier "skin, hide" (mid-14c.), from Anglo-French pell, Old French pel "skin" (13c., Modern French peau), from Latin pellem, pellis "skin, leather, parchment, hide" (see film (n.)).
n. 1 A fur or hide. 2 A lined cloak or its lining. 3 A roll of parchment; a record kept on parchment. 4 (context Sussex English) A body of water somewhere between a pond and a lake in size. 5 An upright post, often padded and covered in hide, used to practice strikes with bladed weapons such as swords or glaives. vb. To pelt; to knock about.
Pell is a surname shared by several notable people, listed below chronologically by birth.Born after 1600
- English Thomas Pell (1608–1669; emigrated to United States)
- England: John Pell (1611–1685); mathematician, see also Pell's equation
- United States: Philip Pell (1753–1811)
- United States: Morris Birkbeck Pell (1827-1879)
- United States: Charles Pell (1874–1936)
- United States: Herbert Pell (1884–1961)
- United States: Claiborne Pell (1918–2009)
- United States: Charley Pell (1941–2001)
- Australia: George Pell (born 1941)
- United States: Eva J. Pell (born 1948), plant pathologist
- German: Axel Rudi Pell (born 1960)
- United States: Julia Lorillard Wampage Pell (1954–2006)
- United Kingdom: Harry Pell (born 1991), English professional footballer
Pell may refer to:
- Pell, a surname
- Pell's World, a fictional planet in American science fiction and fantasy author C. J. Cherryh's Alliance-Union universe
- Pell's equation, a mathematical equation, specifically a kind of Diophantine equation
- Pell (One Piece), a minor character in the Japanese anime One Piece
- Pell Grant, United States federal education grant program
- Pell, a medieval sword fighting practice post
- Pell, a skin or hide
- Pell Office, historic department of the British government; Clerk of the Pells.
Usage examples of "pell".
Beyond had once begun with the stars nearest Earth and now it started with Pell, for the oldest stations were shut down as Earthward trade phased out and the pre-jump style of trade passed forever.
Pell saw only her, and even as Starkey tried to warn Pell with her eyes, Fowles nailed him with the Asp.
She left Pell by the front door, then went back to Fowles just as he edged to the far end of the couch.
Starkey pushed away from him, shoving hard against a floor that tried to anchor her, trapped in a nightmare moment with legs that refused to move, her heart echoing thunder in her ears as she rushed in a painful, panicked, horrible lunge for Pell and the door as -- John Michael Fowles gazed up through the red lens of his own blood at a crimson world, then pressed the silver button that set him free.
Sitting to her right, Justice Glynn regarded Pell with a dubious frown.
Pell System was as old as the light-bound signal that came reporting it, ships inbound, more than an hour ago.
Mathias Konkon fight, Pell Lightner came up to the three hundredth floor of the Fifth Business.
Pell Lightner came up to the three hundredth floor of the Fifth Business.
When Runcible learned of the situation in Pell, he sent Granite, convinced that he was dispatching one of his best men to attend to it.
He called an image to the screen before them, showed them the familiar area of their recent operations, which by stripping away vital personnel and leaving chaos on the stations left one lone untampered station like the narrowing of a funnel toward Pell, toward the wide straggle of Hinder Stars.
More and more she was convinced that the whole Pell operation was busywork, that Mazian might be doing precisely what she had advised all along, keeping the troops busy, keeping even his crews and captains busy, while the real operation here was that on Downbelow and what he proposed with the mines and short-haulers, the gathering of supplies, the repairs, the sorting of station personnel for identification and capture of all those fugitives who might surface and make takeover easy and cheap for Union.
SAUL, PAUL JACOBS WITH EVE PELL To Servet he Devil: Natives and Slaves Vol.
SAUL, PAUL JACOBS WITH EVE PELL To Servet he Devil: Colonials and Sojourners Vol.
KOVEL, JOVEL White Racism V-459 LANDAU, SAUL, PAUL JACOBS WITH EVE PELL To Servet he Devil: Natives and Slaves Vol.
I V-460 LANDAU, SAUL, PAUL JACOBS WITH EVE PELL To Servet he Devil: Colonials and Sojourners Vol.