Crossword clues for neb
- Wyo. neighbor
- Grain Belt state: Abbr.
- Lincoln's home: Abbr.
- Home of Creighton U.
- Neighbor of Colo.
- Home of Agate Fossil Beds Natl. Monument
- Cornhusker St.
- Ia. neighbor
- It's S. of S. Dak.
- Tortoise's beak
- Tornado Alley state: Abbr.
- Home to Bellevue U.
- A long projecting or anterior elongation of an animal's head
- Especially the nose
- Horny projecting mouth of a bird
The Collaborative International Dictionary
Neb \Neb\ (n[e^]b), n. [AS. nebb head, face; akin to D. neb,
Icel. nef, beak of a bird, nose, Dan. n[ae]b beak, bill, Sw.
n["a]bb, n["a]f, and prob. also to D. sneb, snavel, bill,
beak, G. schnabel, Dan. & Sw. snabel, and E. snap. Cf. Nib,
The nose; the snout; the mouth; the beak of a bird; a nib, as
of a pen. [Also written nib.]
Douglas Harper's Etymology Dictionary
"beak or bill of a bird," Old English nebb "beak, nose; face, countenance; beak-shaped thing," common Germanic (cognates: Old Norse nef "beak, nose," Middle Dutch nebbe "beak," Old High German snabul, German Schnabel "beak," Old Frisian snavel "mouth"), of uncertain origin.
n. 1 (context now dialectal English) A bird's beak or bill. 2 (context obsolete English) A person's mouth. 3 (context now dialectal English) A person's nose. 4 (context now dialectal English) The nose or snout of an animal, now especially of a fish. 5 (context now dialectal English) A projecting extremity; a point or sharp projection. 6 (context now dialectal English) A nib, as of a pen.
neb may refer to:
NEB may refer to:
- Pseudonym of a well-known Spanish architect from Granada city.
- Nose in Everyone's Business, a Busybody or Gossip
- National Enterprise Board, former government body set up in the United Kingdom in 1975 to implement the Wilson Labour government's objective of extending public ownership of industry
- National Energy Board, a Canadian independent federal agency which regulates the oil, gas and electric utility industries.
- National Ethics Bureau
- Nebulin, a large protein found in muscles
- New England Biolabs, U.S. corporation, produces and supplies reagents for the life science industry
- New English Bible, a fresh translation of the Bible into modern English directly from the original Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic texts (with some Latin in the Apocrypha)
- North Equatorial belt, a Cloud pattern on Jupiter
- Nuclear Energy Board (1973-1992), established in Ireland on November 30, 1973 by the Nuclear Energy (An Bord Fuinnimh Núicléigh) Act, 1971
- Noise Equivalent Bandwidth, a measure of the bandwidth of an electrical filter equivalent to a 'brick wall' filter with infinite attenuation in its stop band.
- Nudged Elastic Band, a way of exploring reaction paths in computational chemistry.
- N-Ethylbuphedrone, a stimulant.
Usage examples of "neb".
Neb and Pencroft, on whom the functions of cooks naturally devolved, to the one in his quality of Negro, to the other in that of sailor, quickly prepared some broiled agouti, to which they did great justice.
The fire was lighted, and Neb and Pencroft, on whom the functions of cooks naturally devolved, to the one in his quality of Negro, to the other in that of sailor, quickly prepared some broiled agouti, to which they did great justice.
However, the mystery which enveloped its strange destruction would doubtless never have been cleared away if, on the 30th of November, Neb, strolling on the beach, had not found a piece of a thick iron cylinder, bearing traces of explosion.
As to Neb, his red eyes showed how he had cried, and the tears which he could not restrain told too clearly that he had lost all hope.
Pencroft and Neb, during this time, had gone to fetch the boat, moored a few hundred feet higher up, on the bank of the Mercy, and by the time they returned, Ayrton was ready to start.
Sie wurde in einen Topf gepflanzt und an das Fenster dicht neben seinem Bette gestellt.
Und neben diesem fixen oder geschlossenen Serail giebt es das vage oder freie.
The pleasure of Harding on seeing his servant, and the joy of Neb at finding his master, can scarcely be described.
The grief of Neb and his companions, who were all strongly attached to the intrepid Harding, can be better pictured than described.
Pencroft, as he watched them, in such a comical tone that Cyrus Harding, Gideon Spilett, Herbert, and Neb could not help laughing.
Cyrus Harding, Herbert, Pencroft, Gideon Spilett, and Neb quitted the encampment.
Cyrus Harding expected to reach, without incident, the course of the creek, which he supposed flowed under the trees at the border of the plain, when he saw Herbert running hastily back, while Neb and the sailor were hiding behind the rocks.
It then became necessary to leave the smoking mass to cool, and during this time Neb and Pencroft, guided by Cyrus Harding, brought, on a hurdle made of interlaced branches, loads of carbonate of lime and common stones, which were very abundant, to the north of the lake.
Cyrus Harding, Herbert, Gideon Spilett, Neb, and the sailor were soon collected on the shore, at a place where the channel left a ford passable at low tide.
During this time Cyrus Harding, Spilett, and Neb, crawling behind the rocks, glided towards the future scene of combat.