Crossword clues for meitner
Meitner is a surname. Notable people with the surname include:
- Erika Meitner (born 1975), American poet
- Lise Meitner (1878–1968), Austrian nuclear physicist, daughter of Philipp
- Philipp Meitner (1838–1910), Austrian lawyer and chess master; father of Lise
- Jiří Meitner (1958–), Czech artist, painter of Jewish and Moravian Wallachia origin.
Meitner is an impact crater on the far side of the Moon, behind the eastern limb. It lies to the northwest of the crater Kondratyuk, and about a crater diameter to the west of Langemak.
This crater has relatively well-defined features that have not been significantly eroded by subsequent impacts. The rim edge is roughly circular, with a slight outward bulge along the southern edge. The small satellite crater Meitner C lies across the rim and inner wall to the northeast. Sections of the inner wall display terrace features. The interior floor of Meitner is relatively level, with a small craterlet just to the southwest of the midpoint and another along the northwest inner wall.
Apollo 8, the first manned mission to orbit the moon, happened to fly directly over Meitner (among many other craters) and obtained high-resolution photographs of the interior.
Meitner is a multiring impact crater on Venus.
Meitner may refer to the following:
- Meitner (surname), for people with that name
- 6999 Meitner, main-belt asteroid
- Meitner (Venusian crater), a multiring impact basin on Venus
- Meitner (lunar crater), impact crater on the far side of the moon
- Meitner–Hupfeld effect, particle physics phenomenon