is a fictional character in the Naruto anime and manga series created by Masashi Kishimoto. Introduced in the first half of the series, he was a student of Hiruzen Sarutobi and one of the "Legendary Sannin"; along with Orochimaru and Lady Tsunade. Jiraiya appears as a perverted old man who occasionally returns to the village, reporting the activities of Orochimaru and Akatsuki. Referred to as the "Toad Sage and "Pervy Sage", he mentored Minato Namikaze, the Fourth Hokage, and later became a godfather to Minato's son Naruto.
Jiraiya is a playable character in most of the video games from the series and various merchandises have been released based on him. The character received positive reception and is considered to be one of the strongest in the series; critics praised Jiraiya's introduction in the series as well as his relation with Naruto as his mentor. Of all the student-teacher relationships in Naruto, Jiraiya and Naruto's is the one Kishimoto likes the most.
Jiraiya may refer to:
- Jiraiya, character in the Japanese folktale Jiraiya Gōketsu Monogatari
- The hero or Ikazuchi-Maru, a fictional character in The Magic Serpent (1966)
- Jiraiya (Naruto), a character from the manga and anime Naruto
- Jiraiya/Ninja Black, a character from the 1994 tokusatsu TV series Ninja Sentai Kakuranger;
- Touha Yamaji/Jiraiya, the main character from the tokusatsu 1988 TV series Sekai Ninja Sen Jiraiya