Crossword clues for delos
The island of Delos (; ; Attic: , Doric: ), near Mykonos, near the centre of the Cyclades archipelago, is one of the most important mythological, historical and archaeological sites in Greece. The excavations in the island are among the most extensive in the Mediterranean; ongoing work takes place under the direction of the French School at Athens and many of the artifacts found are on display at the Archaeological Museum of Delos and the National Archaeological Museum of Athens.
Delos had a position as a holy sanctuary for a millennium before Olympian Greek mythology made it the birthplace of Apollo and Artemis. From its Sacred Harbour, the horizon shows the two conical mounds (image below) that have identified landscapes sacred to a goddess in other sites: one, retaining its Pre-Greek name Mount Kynthos, is crowned with a sanctuary of Zeus.
Established as a culture center, Delos had an importance that its natural resources could never have offered. In this vein Leto, searching for a birthing-place for Artemis and Apollo, addressed the island:
Delos is one of the most important mythological, historical and archaeological sites in Greece.
Delos may also refer to:
- Delos (genus), a genus of medium-sized predatory air-breathing land snails
- Delos (park), a fictional amusement park
- Delos International, an independent record label
- Delos Mountain, a mountain located in Boeotia, Greece
- Delos Productions an American classical record label specializing in Russian music
People with the given name Delos:
- Alex C. Delos Santos (born 1967), Filipino poet
- Delos Bennett Sackett (1822–1885), United States Army general
- Delos Carleton Emmons (1888–1965), United States Army general
- Delos Davis (1846–1915), Canadian lawyer
- Delos Drake (1886–1965), American baseball player
- Delos R. Ashley (1828–1873), American politician
- Delos Thurber (1916–1987), American athlete
- Delos W. Lovelace (1894–1967), American novelist
- Lawrence Delos Miles (1904–1985), American engineer
- Delos David Harriman fictional character in " The Man Who Sold the Moon"