Crossword clues for casbah
- Word from the Arabic for "fortress"
- Where Pepe met Gaby, in "Algiers"
- Walled citadel
- Walled area of a city
- The Clash said to rock it
- The Clash "Rock" it
- Section of Marrakesh
- Pépé le Moko's hiding place
- Old quarter
- North African Arab quarter
- Historic section of Algiers
- Historic quarter of Algiers
- Fortress referenced in a hit by The Clash
- Foreign citadel
- Clash "Rock the ___"
- Charles Boyer milieu
- Boyer's favorite haunt
- Algiers' district
- Algiers district
- African landmark near the Mediterranean
- African fortress
- "Rock the ---" (song by the Clash)
- "Rock the __": hit song for The Clash
- "Rock the ___" (hit song by The Clash)
- "Rock the ___" (1982 hit)
- "Rock the ___" (1982 hit for the Clash)
- "Come with me to the ___" ("Algiers" catch phrase)
- "Come with me to the ___"
- Algiers quarter
- Old quarter of Algiers
- Quarter of Algiers
- Nightclub in the Trump Taj
- The Clash's "Rock the ___"
- Foreign fortress
- Citadel, in Arabic
- Pepe Le Moko's locale
- Algiers's old quarter
- Algiers native quarter
- Marrakesh section
- Native quarter of Algiers
- Airline in the money acquires African citadel area
- Notes, perhaps, written about bachelor in African citadel
- "Rock the ___" (song by the Clash)
- "Rock the ___" (hit song for The Clash)
- The Clash rocked it
- Section of Algiers
- Old section of Algiers
- Algiers section (var.)
- Algiers area
- Algerian quarter
- Algiers citadel
- Algiers attraction
- Algerian fortress
- "Rock the ___" (The Clash)
- "Rock the ___" (The Clash hit)
Douglas Harper's Etymology Dictionary
1738, from French casbah, from North African Arabic dialect kasba "fortress."
alt. 1 The fortress in a city in North Africa or the Middle East. 2 (qualifier: by synecdoche) The medina, the older part of a city in North Africa or the Middle East. n. 1 The fortress in a city in North Africa or the Middle East. 2 (qualifier: by synecdoche) The medina, the older part of a city in North Africa or the Middle East.
n. an older or native quarter of many cities in northern Africa; the quarter in which the citadel is located [syn: kasbah]
Casbah and similar may refer to:
- The Casbah, a citadel in Algiers
- Kasbah, or casbah, (Arabic: "القصبة") or Qassabah, a unique kind of medina, Islamic city, or fortress.
- Kasbah of the Udayas, a kasbah in Rabat, Morocco.
- The Casbah (US music venue), a music venue in San Diego, USA
- The Casbah Coffee Club (also known as The Casbah), a former music venue in Liverpool, England
- Casbah (film), a 1948 musical film
- The color "Kasbah", a medium purple shade.
Casbah (1948) is a musical film directed by John Berry, starring Yvonne DeCarlo and Tony Martin, and released by Universal Studios.
Usage examples of "casbah".
The wealthy see the Anschluss as a danger to their position, but much more vulnerable and immediately threatened are the inhabitants of the Casbah.
Marlowe was rapidly finding out that the tubes of the rocket trash were a world within a world, the Casbah of the orbiting environment.
Stepping to the edge of the waist-high yellow tape stretching from the corner of the Nightwood Bar to the Casbah Motel, she evaluated the area.
Hurriedly she crested the hill and saw at the lighted windows of the Casbah Motel figures looking down into the parking lot.
Floyt in mind of the sewers of ancient Paris, stories of the long-gone Casbah, and pictures he'd seen of hobo jungles.
They had visited the sights of Ankh-Morpork, its crowded docks, its many bridges, its souks, its casbahs, its streets lined with nothing but temples.
Over in that Casbah, starved-looking, shave-needing ragheads lean out of spindly towers yodeling out of key.
Before he's even got it latched he's yodeling just like those guys up in the Casbah.
Before he’s even got it latched he’s yodeling just like those guys up in the Casbah.