Crossword clues for bao
Etymology 1 n. Any of various types of steamed bread used in Chinese cuisine Etymology 2
n. A mancala board game played in East Africa.
Bao is a traditional mancala board game played in most of East Africa including Kenya, Tanzania, Comoros, Malawi, as well as some areas of DR Congo and Burundi. It is most popular among the Swahili people of Tanzania and Kenya; the name itself "Bao" is the Swahili word for "board" or "board game". In Tanzania, and especially Zanzibar, a "bao master" (called bingwa, "master"; but also fundi, "artist") is held in high respect. In Malawi, a close variant of the game is known as Bawo, which is the Yao equivalent of the Swahili name.
Bao is well known to be a prominent mancala in terms of complexity and strategical depth, and it has raised interest in scholars of several disciplines, including game theory, complexity theory, and psychology. Official tournaments are held in Tanzania, Zanzibar, Lamu (Kenya), and Malawi, and both mainland Tanzania and Zanzibar have their Bao societies, such as the Chama cha Bao founded in 1966.
In Zanzibar and Tanzania there are two versions of Bao. The main version, which is also the most complex and most appreciated, is called Bao la kiswahili ("Bao of the Swahili people"). The simplified version is called Bao la kujifunza ("Bao for beginners"). There are a variety of other mancalas across East Africa (and part of Middle East) that are related to Bao. One of them is the Hawalis game of Oman; it is also known in Zanzibar, where it goes by the name "Bao la kiarabu" ("Bao of the Arabs"). Another major relative of Bao is Omweso (played in Uganda), which employs an equipment similar to Bao, and has some similar rules.
BAO may refer to:
- Baccalaureus in Arte Obstetricia, Bachelor of Obstetrics, a medical degree unique to Ireland.
- Batman: Arkham Origins
- Baryon acoustic oscillations, a signature of the early universe observed in galaxy surveys.
- Beijing Astronomical Observatory
- Benny Anderssons Orkester
- Bruce Artwick Organization
- Bullets And Octane
Bao may refer to:
- In Chinese cuisine:
- Baozi, a steamed or baked bun filled with various fillings
- Gua bao, a steamed clam-shaped bun sandwiched with meat and condiments
- Bao stir-frying, a high heat variant of the Chinese stir frying technique
- Bao (mancala game), a mancala game from East Africa
- Bao Xishun, the world's tallest living man
- Bao Zheng, a Chinese judge of Song China
- Bao, a character from The King of Fighters
- bánh bao, a Vietnamese dumpling with pork meat inside, variated from the Chinese dumpling 'Baozi'
- barium oxide
- BAO stands for Baryon Acoustic Oscillations, in physical cosmology
- Bao (surname), a common pronunciation for some Chinese surnames, such as 包 and 鮑
Bao or Pao is the pinyin romanization of two Chinese surnames, 包 and 鮑/鲍 . It could also be a sinification of the Mongolian surname Borjigin.
Usage examples of "bao".
I did give Bao Cabal six thousand shares of the First Banking Enclave of Earth in exchange for his agreement to provide me with secured information from the Bioverse communications web, which I knew he did not have the right to access or distribute.
Brigadier Ma Bao, who is on the staff of His Highness the Satrap of Yunnan.