Douglas Harper's Etymology Dictionary
descriptive of a dress or skirt flared in shape of a letter "A," 1955, in reference to the designs of Christian Dior (1905-1957).
a. Having a silhouette that replicates the letter A by flaring out from the top, like a funnel, narrow and fitted at the neck and shoulders, skimming the hips and widening toward the bottom, with little or no shaping or seaming at the waist. n. Any article of clothing with a narrow mid-section and a flared bottom.Brown, Lesley (2003)
The A-Line is a planned rapid transit line running along James Street in downtown and Upper James Street on the escarpment in Hamilton, Ontario. It is part of Hamilton's proposed BLAST network, involving four other rapid transit corridors. It is identified by Metrolinx in its regional transportation plan The Big Move as a project to be completed by 2023.
The line is envisioned to run between West Harbour GO Station and John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport. On May 26, 2015, the Government of Ontario announced the B-Line would be constructed between McMaster University and Queenston Circle, as well as a segment of the A-Line to provide a direct connection to West Harbour GO Station. The capital costs for the project will be $1 billion, funded entirely by the province. Procurement is expected to begin in 2017, and line construction is expected to begin in 2019.
A-line or A Line may refer to:
- A-line (clothing), a style of skirt or dress
- A (New York City Subway service), rapid transit line in New York City, USA
- A Line (RTD), commuter rail line serving Denver and Aurora, Colorado, USA
- A-Line (Hamilton), planned rapid transit line in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- Metro A Line (Minnesota), a bus rapid transit line in Minneapolis, Saint Paul, and Roseville, Minnesota, USA
- RapidRide A Line, bus route in King County, Washington, USA
- RER A, commuter rail line in Paris, France
- A Line in the Dirt, a single by American alternative rock band Eels
- A Line of Deathless Kings, an album by Englidh doom metal band My Dying Bride
- I Got a Line on You, a song by American rock band Spirit
- A Line in the Sand, a thriller on UK television station ITV
- Arterial line, a thin catheter inserted into an artery
Usage examples of "a-line".
The microfabric did not need tent poles or stakes-all you had to do was double-crease the lines of the fabric you wanted rigid, and those folds would stay taut in a hurricane, but setting a microtent up was a bit of an art, and the other two watched while I expanded the fabric, creased the edges into an A-line with a dome center tall enough to stand in, and folded the suddenly rigid edges into the sand to stake it.