The Collaborative International Dictionary
Zero \Ze"ro\, n.; pl. Zerosor Zeroes. [F. z['e]ro, from Ar.
(Arith.) A cipher; nothing; naught.
The point from which the graduation of a scale, as of a thermometer, commences.
Note: Zero in the Centigrade, or Celsius thermometer, and in the R['e]aumur thermometer, is at the point at which water congeals. The zero of the Fahrenheit thermometer is fixed at the point at which the mercury stands when immersed in a mixture of snow and common salt. In Wedgwood's pyrometer, the zero corresponds with 1077[deg] on the Fahrenheit scale. See Illust. of Thermometer.
Fig.: The lowest point; the point of exhaustion; as, his patience had nearly reached zero.
Absolute zero. See under Absolute.
Zero method (Physics), a method of comparing, or measuring, forces, electric currents, etc., by so opposing them that the pointer of an indicating apparatus, or the needle of a galvanometer, remains at, or is brought to, zero, as contrasted with methods in which the deflection is observed directly; -- called also null method.
Zero point, the point indicating zero, or the commencement of a scale or reckoning.
n. (context military English) The location of the center of a burst of a nuclear weapon at the instant of detonation. The zero point may be in the air, or on or beneath the surface of land or water, depending upon the type of burst, and it is thus to be distinguished from ground zero.
n. the quantity that registers a reading of zero on a scale [syn: zero]
Zero point may refer to:
- Zero Point (geography), a point at the north side of Assistance Bay in Possession Bay, South Georgia
- Zero Point Interchange, a cloverleaf interchange in Islamabad, Pakistan, at the intersection of Islamabad Highway, Kashmir Highway and Khayaban-e-Suharwardy
- Zero Point railway station, the last railway station in Pakistan on Mirpur Khas-Munabao railway line
- Lingdian (band) , sometimes translated in English as Zero Point, a Chinese band
- Origin (mathematics), a fixed point of reference for a coordinate system
- "Zero Point", a song by Tori Amos, released on A Piano: The Collection
- Zero Point, a 2014 Estonian drama film directed by Mihkel Ulk
Zero Point is a point at the north side of Assistance Bay in Possession Bay, South Georgia. The name appears on a chart in the 1932 DI surveys at South Georgia, 1926-30.
Category:Headlands of South Georgia