n. United States rocket engineer (born in Germany where he designed a missile used against England); he led the United States Army team that put the first American satellite into space (1912-1977) [syn: Braun, Wernher von Braun, Wernher Magnus Maximilian von Braun]
von Braun, named after the rocket pioneer Wernher von Braun, is a lunar crater located near the northwestern limb of the Moon. It lies along the western edge of the Oceanus Procellarum, to the northeast of the crater Lavoisier. The northeastern rim of this crater is on the edge of the Sinus Roris, a bay feature in the northwestern part of the Oceanus Procellarum. Due to its proximity to the limb, this crater appears significantly foreshortened when viewed from the Earth.
This crater is somewhat distorted from a true circular shape, and is slightly longer to the north and south. The outer rim has undergone some erosion due to subsequent impacts. Most notably, the crater Lavoisier E is attached to the western rim, and the outer rampart falls across part of the inner wall of von Braun. There are small craters along the rim to the southeast and the east, and craterlets along the northeast and southwestern rims. The inner wall has slumped along the southeast and northwestern sides to form a terrace-like shelf. The interior floor is relatively level and featureless, with a few small craterlets marking the surface.
This crater was previously identified as Lavoisier D before being assigned a name by the IAU.
Von Braun may refer to:
- Wernher von Braun (1912–1977), influential aerospace engineer
- Sigismund von Braun (1911–1998), German diplomat, Wernher's brother
- Magnus von Braun (1919–2003), Chrysler Europe executive, Wernher's brother
- Magnus von Braun (senior) (1878–1972), German politician, Minister of Agriculture 1932–1933, father of the three von Braun brothers.
- von Braun, lunar crater
- The VonBraun, a fictional faster-than-light starship from the 1999 personal computer game System Shock 2
- The Von Braun, a fusion-powered ship designed for a manned mission to Jupiter in the manga and anime Planetes
- The Von Braun, a fictional, robotic, slower-than-light starship in the Discovery Channel special Alien Planet
- Von Braun reaction, a reaction in organic chemistry
- Von Braun amide degradation, a second related reaction