Crossword clues for vare
The Collaborative International Dictionary
Vare \Vare\, n. (Zo["o]l.) A weasel. [Prov. Eng.]
Vare widgeon (Zo["o]l.), a female or young male of the smew; a weasel duck; -- so called from the resemblance of the head to that of a vare, or weasel. [Prov. Eng.]
Vare \Vare\, n. [Sp. vara staff, wand, L. vara forked pole.] A wand or staff of authority or justice. [Obs.]
His hand a vare of justice did uphold.
Etymology 1 n. (context UK dialect English) A weasel. Etymology 2
n. A wand or staff of authority or justice.
Vare is the surname of:
- William Scott Vare (1867–1934), American construction contractor and Republican Party politician
- Glenna Collett-Vare (1903–1989), American Hall of Fame golfing champion
- Jack Vare (born 1986), Papua New Guinean cricketer
- Marjaana Vare (born 1967), Paralympian athlete from Finland
- Ethlie Ann Vare, (born 1953), journalist and screenwriter
Usage examples of "vare".
At that moment the long goatlike head of Elder Vare broke the surface, mouth open in a strangled yelp for aid.
Shortly after that, Ned Vare and a local lawyer named Shellman savaged the State Highway Department so badly that all plans to bring the four-lane highway through town were completely de-funded.