Crossword clues for tuva
The Tyva Republic (; , Tyva Respublika, ), Tyva or Tuva (; ), is a federal subject of Russia (a republic, also defined in the Constitution of the Russian Federation as a state ). It lies in the geographical center of Asia, in southern Siberia. The republic borders the Altai Republic, the Republic of Khakassia, Krasnoyarsk Krai, Irkutsk Oblast, and the Republic of Buryatia in Russia and Mongolia to the south. Its capital is the city of Kyzyl. It has a population of 307,930 ( 2010 census).
From 1921 until 1944, Tuva constituted a sovereign, independent nation, under the name of Tannu Tuva, officially, the Tuvan People's Republic, or the People's Republic of Tannu Tuva. The independence of Tannu Tuva, however, was recognized only by its neighbours: the Soviet Union and Mongolia.
Forests, mountains, and steppe make up a large part of the geography of Tuva.
A majority of the people are Tyvans, but Russian is also spoken extensively. Tuva is governed by the Great Khural, which elects a chairman for a four-year term. The current chairman is Sholban Kara-ool.
Tuva may refer to:
- Tuva Republic, a federal subject of Russia
- Tuvan People's Republic (People's Republic of Tannu Tuva, 1921–1944)
- Tuvan Autonomous Oblast (1944-1961)
- Tuvan Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (1961–1992)
- Tuva Depression, a region in Siberia
- Tuva River, a river in Fiji
- Tuva Novotny, a Swedish actress and singer
- Tuva or Bust!, a book by Ralph Leighton
- Tuva Silver Vole, a rodent found in Russia and Mongolia
- Tuvan throat singing, a form of overtone singing
- Project Tuva, a project by Microsoft Research and Bill Gates designed to teach people about the core of physics