Turua is a small village community located on the banks of the Waihou River in the Hauraki Plains, southeast of Auckland in the North Island of New Zealand. Turua is a Maori place name meaning "twice seen," referring to reflections in the river. Before European settlement, the town site was a Maori pā surrounded by vast forests of kahikatea that came to be known as the "Turua Woods." In the late 19th century the village of Turua became one of the most important sites of kahikatea exploitation in New Zealand when the family of George and Martha Bagnall bought the Turua sawmill in 1875. Over the next forty years the stands of kahikatea surrounding the town were replaced by small family farms. In 2006 there were 441 households in Turua, with an enrolment of 184 students in the Turua Primary School.
Category:Populated places in Waikato Category:Hauraki District