Crossword clues for tret
The Collaborative International Dictionary
Tret \Tret\, obs.
3d pers. sing. pres. of Tread, for treadeth.
Tret \Tret\, n. [F. traite a drawing, trading, journey, tax on
wares in transit, anything diminishing the value of coins,
fr. OF. traire to draw, L. trahere. See Trait.] (Com.)
An allowance to purchasers, for waste or refuse matter, of
four pounds on every 104 pounds of suttle weight, or weight
after the tare deducted.
Douglas Harper's Etymology Dictionary
"allowance on goods sold by weight," c.1500, of unknown origin; perhaps related to trait "act of drawing."
Etymology 1 n. (context obsolete English) An allowance to purchasers, for waste or refuse matter, of four pounds on every 104 pounds of suttle weight, or weight after the tare is deducted. Etymology 2
vb. (context Yorkshire Geordie colloquial English) (en-past of: treat)
- Tret, Murree, settlement in Punjab, Pakistan.
- Tret, a village in Fondo municipality, Trentino province, Italy
- Trets, settlement in France
- Tret, often termed "Trett", an archaic deduction once made from the gross weight of goods.
- Alpha,alpha-trehalose synthase, an enzyme
Usage examples of "tret".
Einzelnen werden in diese und jene Serie treten und die Arbeit auf kurze Zeit versuchen.
Es sei denn, der gegenwärtige Direktor des FBI würde sterben oder vorzeitig in den Ruhestand treten.