Crossword clues for tove
Tove (, ) is a Scandinavian given name which derives from the Old Norse name Tófa, a shortening of Thorfrithr, "beautiful Thor" or "peace of Thor." Tove is mostly a female name but occasionally masculine. Tove is also an alternative English spelling of the Hebrew female name that is more commonly spelled Tovah or Tova. Famous persons named Tove include:Women
- Tove Ditlevsen, Danish poet and author.
- Tove Jansson, Finnish writer.
- Tove Edfeldt, Swedish actress.
- Tove Maës, Danish actress
- Tove Nilsen, Norwegian writer
- Tove Styrke, Swedish singer
- Tove Lo, Swedish singer
- Tove Christensen
- Tove (sculptor)
Tove is also:
- a legendary young woman, mistress of the Danish King Waldemar, and subject of a poem by Jens Peter Jacobsen best known for its musical setting as the Gurre-Lieder of Arnold Schoenberg.
- a fictional, slithy creature created by Lewis Carroll that appears in his poem Jabberwocky.
- High Tove, a mountain in the English Lake District
- River Tove, tributary of the River Great Ouse in England.
- TOVE Project, an ontology for modelling enterprises.
Tove was a sculptor and stonemason active in Scania during the Middle Ages. The artist made and signed the baptismal font of Gumlösa Church with the words Tove gierhi ("Tove made me"). Gumlösa Church was inaugurated in 1191. Tove also made the baptismal font in Lyngsjö Church and perhaps Bjärsejö Church, both also in Scania.
Usage examples of "tove".
His memory gave him the words Twas briflig, and the slithy toves Did gyre and gimble in the wabe: All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe.