Crossword clues for toi
Toi or TOI may refer to:
- Toi (Bible), the Biblical king of Hamath
- Toi (name), a masculine name in Māori and other Polynesian languages
- Toi, Shizuoka, Japan
- Toi, Niue, a village in Niue
- TOI (band), a group of electronic folk rock musicians in the Philippines
- Times of India, an English daily newspaper in India
- Third-order intercept point, a specification of electronic amplifiers
- Toi, a contestant in Akademi Fantasia, Season 6
- Toi, a group of barbarian pirates responsible for the Toi invasion
- Time on ice, an ice hockey statistic
- Theatre on ice, a branch of figure skating
- Tonga language (Zambia and Zimbabwe), ISO 639-3 code toi
- Toi (film), a 2007 Canadian film starring Anne-Marie Cadieux
"Toi" ( English translation: "You") was the Luxembourgish entry in the Eurovision Song Contest 1975, performed in French by Irish singer Geraldine. The entry had a high pedigree, being penned by three authors/composers who had all written/composed previous Eurovision winners. Pierre Cour had been partly responsible for the 1960 winner " Tom Pillibi" and Bill Martin and Phil Coulter had created the 1967 winner " Puppet on a String".
The song is a ballad, with Geraldine telling her lover that "my life doesn't exist without you" and pledging her unending love to him. Geraldine recorded the song in two languages; French and her mother tongue English, the latter as "You".
Another singer with a similar name, Géraldine, represented Switzerland in the 1967 Eurovision Song Contest in Vienna, finishing last with 'nul points', but as John Kennedy O'Connor's The Eurovision Song Contest - The Official History notes, despite the similarity in name, the two singers are unique. This Geraldine later married the song's composer, Phil Coulter.
The song was performed fifth on the night (following Germany's Joy Fleming with " Ein Lied kann eine Brücke sein" and preceding Norway's Ellen Nikolaysen with " Touch My Life (With Summer)"). At the close of voting, it had received 84 points, placing 5th in a field of 19.
It was succeeded as Luxembourgish representative at the 1976 Contest by Jürgen Marcus with " Chansons pour ceux qui s'aiment".
Toi is a fairly common man's name in Māori and other Polynesian languages.
The best known men named Toi are the following from Māori legendary history, who are sometimes confused with one another:
- Toi-te-huatahi, in Te Arawa tradition, a chief who never left Hawaiki. In the Ngati Awa tradition, a descendant of Tiwakawaka (fantail), the original settler of New Zealand. In the discredited 'orthodox' or " Great Fleet" story, a man from Hawaiki who settled at Whakatane after following his grandson Whatonga.
- Toi-te-huatahi II in the discredited Great Fleet story, a man who settled at Whakatane after following his grandson Whatonga, much later than Toi-te-huatahi I.
- Toi-kai-rākau, an ancestor of the Tūhoe tribe. In some traditions, this is an alternative name for Toi-te-huatahi.
The descendants of Toi-kai-rākau are named Te Tini-a-Toi – the many descendants of Toi. In the part of the Bay of Plenty where the Mataatua canoe landed, these descendants were divided into at least 18 groups or hapu. Sometimes also the name Te Tini o Toi is used.
TOI, pronounced "toy" and sometimes mistakenly referred to by the name of its website "TOI Kingdom", is a Filipino indie musical group whose musical range includes folk rock, blues, jazz, and electronic music, often in some experimental combination. Conceived in 2007 by Mei Tayengco, Pat Tirano and Pauline Diaz, the group was named TOI in acknowledgement of Tayengco’s vision of the group as “a plaything created by three minds.” Tirano and Diaz form the musical core of the band, with numerous other musicians contributing to the band's sound over the years, while Tayengco serves as the band's artistic manager of sorts.
Usage examples of "toi".
Ta main, laisse-moi aller maintenant, paix sur Toi, et que chacun suive son propre chemin.
Lazare brutalement, les mauvais temps ne sont pas devenus meilleurs, ni toi non plus.
Si ton oncle avait des devoirs envers nous, envers moi, envers toi, je me considere comme en ayant envers le capitaine qui a certainement des droits a la fortune dont nous heritons.
Et toi, as-tu entendu leur voix divine avec le mugissement du tonnerre?
Je puis te dire que depuis votre rupture je ne suis pas reste sans parler de toi avec ton frere.
Vous seriez les premieres, ta mere et toi, a me blamer, si je continuais de pareils errements.
Imagines-tu donc que si tu mourais je ne mourrais pas avec toi, o mon bien-aime!
Pourquoi ne pouvez-vous partager en bonne entente ce qui vous importe, toi mendiant, lui marchand?
Je me souviens de toi, juif, dit-il, reniflant et se frottant les yeux.
Voyons, ce ne peut pas etre un chagrin pour toi de rester en tete a-tete avec le duc?
Crois-tu que les filles belles comme toi, qui ont fait de grands mariages, ont reussi sans le secours de leurs meres?
Paris ou a Bade, et je ne suis venue a toi que pour te parler de ce que je savais sur la vie de madame de Barizel en Amerique.
A son tour il lui soupa la parole: --Et tu as pu croire a cette histoire, toi qui me connais.
Comment, Baptiste Croque-Oison, toi qui as un si beau nez, tu vas le risquer contre les gros poings de ce butor!
Si tu veux que je demeure avec toi, je les ferai transporter ici, dit Olivier.