The 'SS-Verfügungstruppe'' (SS-VT') ('') was formed in 1934 as combat troops for the Nazi Party (NSDAP). They were involved in the German invasion of Poland in 1939. By 1940 these military SS units had become the nucleus of the Waffen-SS.
On 17 August 1938 Adolf Hitler decreed that the SS-VT was neither a part of the police nor the German Wehrmacht, but military-trained men at the "disposal" of the Führer. At the time of war, the SS-VT were to be placed at the "disposal" of the army.