Crossword clues for sks
The SKS is a Soviet semi-automatic carbine chambered for the 7.62×39mm round, designed in 1943 by Sergei Gavrilovich Simonov. Its complete designation, SKS-45, is an initialism for Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova, 1945 (, 1945; Self-loading Carbine of (the) Simonov system, 1945). In the early 1950s, the Soviets took the SKS carbine out of front-line service and replaced it with the AK-47; however, the SKS remained in second-line service for decades. It is still used as a ceremonial firearm today. The SKS was widely exported, and was also produced by some former Eastern Bloc nations as well as China, where it was designated the " Type 56 Carbine", East Germany as the Karabiner S and in North Korea as the "Type 63". The SKS is popular on the civilian surplus market as a hunting and marksmanship semi-automatic rifle in many countries, including the United States, Canada, and New Zealand. Its age and numbers make it relatively inexpensive to purchase. The SKS was the second firearm to be chambered for the 7.62×39mm M43 round, with the first being the RPD.
SKS may refer to:
- SKS, a Russian semi-automatic rifle
- SKS (Ship Company), brand of two Norwegian ship companies operating Ore-bulk-oil carriers
- SKS Microfinance, an Indian non-governmental organization specializing in microfinance
- SKS wave, a seismic wave traveling through the mantle and outer core
- SKS Starogard Gdański, a Polish basketball team
- SKS365, an Austrian bookmaker
- SK Slavia Praha, a Czech football club
- Saks Incorporated, a company trading on the New York Stock Exchange under the stock ticker SKS
- Salten Kraftsamband or SKS, a Norwegian power company
- Savez komunista Srbije or SKS, a Serbian party
- Sistem Kenderaan Seremban - Kuala Lumpur, or SKS, a Malaysian private transport company
- Student Committee of Solidarity, Studencki Komitet Solidarności (SKS), Polish student organisation
- Student Union in Sundsvall, ''Studentkåren i Sundsvall, one of the Students' unions of the Mid Sweden University
- Synchronizing Key Servers, an OpenPGP key server software, written in OCaml and distributed under GPL.
- Finnish Literature Society or Suomalaisen Kirjallisuuden Seura (SKS).
- Vojens Airport, Denmark (by IATA code)