Crossword clues for putout
n. (context baseball English) A play in which a batter is retired
n. an out resulting from a fielding play (not a strikeout); "the first baseman made 15 putouts"
In baseball statistics, a putout (denoted by PO or fly out when appropriate) is given to a defensive player who records an out by one of the following methods:
- Tagging a runner with the ball when he is not touching a base (a tagout)
- Catching a batted or thrown ball and tagging a base to put out a batter or runner (a Force out)
- Catching a thrown ball and tagging a base to record an out on an appeal play
- Catching a third strike (a strikeout)
- Catching a batted ball on the fly (a flyout)
- Being positioned closest to a runner called out for interference
Usage examples of "putout".
Perhaps he did not wish to be seen in a Jewish neighborhood or possibly he felt putout to be disturbed on a Sunday evening.
Giving Rowenaster a putout grunt, he locked them and disappeared into the rows and rows of bookcases that lined the room beyond.