Poisson is a lunar crater that is located in the southern highlands of the Moon's near side. It lies to the east of the crater Aliacensis and northwest of Gemma Frisius. To the northwest of Poisson is Apianus.
This heavily eroded crater shares a common floor with the satellite crater Poisson T to the west-southwest, and the two craters have more or less merged into a single formation with a narrower neck in between. The rim of Poisson is heavily eroded, and is overlain by several craters. Poisson U is intruding into the southern rim at the junction of Poisson and Poisson T. A low-walled formation is joined to the northern rim at the opposite side of the neck from Poisson U.
The interior floor of Poisson and Poisson T has been resurfaced by basaltic lava, leaving a level surface within the inner walls. A pair of old, worn craters lies along the inner wall in the southeast part of the crater.
Poisson (meaning fish in French) may refer to:
- Abel-François Poisson, marquis de Marigny (1727–1781), a French nobleman who served as the director general of the King's Buildings
- Jeanne-Antoinette Poisson, madame de Pompadour (1721–1764), a member of the French court and the official chief mistress of Louis XV from 1745 to her death
- Siméon Denis Poisson (1781–1840), a French mathematician, geometer, and physicist
- Poisson crater, a lunar crater named after Siméon Denis Poisson
- Poisson distribution, a discrete probability distribution named after Siméon Denis Poisson
- Poisson, Saône-et-Loire, a commune of the Saône-et-Loire département, in France
- Poissons, a commune in the Haute-Marne département, in France
Usage examples of "poisson".
We mean stand around outside with the other tourists staring incomprehendingly at the menu, which should look like this: CARTE DE MENU Les Petites Eyeballes de Mackerelle en Huile de Voiture Le Debenture en Camisole au Bibliothieque Le Spamme avec un Side de Fries Le Poisson du Votre Fr6re Raoul Le Roni du Zoo en La Ware de la Tupper Prix Pour Le Wholle Ball de Waxe: 156,000,000,000,000,000 Franks.
Every weapon of cryptanalytic science—which in the stratospheric realm of this solution drew heavily upon mathematics, using group theory, congruences, Poisson distributions—was thrown into the fray.
Bernoulli's Theorem, the Bayes-Laplace theorem, the Poisson Distribution, Negative Binomial Distribution .
Suffice it that Poisson was a mathematician and that Poisson's frequency distribution is a good approximation to the binomial distribution as the number of trials increases and probability of success in a single trial is small.
I pass swiftly and uneasily over Poisson distributions, the Central Limit Theorem, the Kolmogorov axioms, Ehrenhaft games, Markov chains, the Pascal triangle, and all the rest.
Murky brown soupe de poisson, tomato salad, moules marinières, poulet basquaise (we were only a few miles from the Basque country).
You see here we have a normal Poisson distribution for the animal population.
If you assume that event arrival times follow a Poisson distribution, and just go ahead and calculate the probability that a given number will occur in some small interval of time, you'll find—.