Crossword clues for pais
The Collaborative International Dictionary
Pais \Pa`is\ (p[.a]`[-e]"), n. [OF. pu["i]s, F. pays, country.] (O. E. Law) The country; the people of the neighborhood.
Note: A trial per pais is a trial by the country, that is, by a jury; and matter in pais is matter triable by the country, or jury.
n. (context obsolete legal English) The (people of the) country.
Pais or PAIS may refer to:
- Pais, a Chilean red wine grape
- Pais (moth), a genus of moth
- PAIS International, an academic journal database
- Pais Project, a global Christian organization
- Partial androgen insensitivity syndrome, an intersex condition
- Payız, an Azerbaijan village
- Payot, a hairstyle worn by some Orthodox Jewish males
Usage examples of "pais".
Blue-eyed and foxy-looking behind the dense brown growth of his beard and pais, Pincus in his dark, outdated suits presided over the courtroom in a style bordering on tyrannical.