Crossword clues for ottava
The Collaborative International Dictionary
Douglas Harper's Etymology Dictionary
adv. (context music English) One octave higher. Marking indicates a passage to be transposed up one octave. Abbreviation: 8va.
Ottava may refer to:
- Ottava rima, an Italian rhyming stanza.
- In music, an octave. Particularly in the following musical instructions:
- All' ottava alta (8va, also ottava sopra), transpose music up one octave
- All' ottava bassa (8vb, also ottava sotta), transpose music down one octave
- Coll' ottava, double at the octave
Usage examples of "ottava".
Both these poems are in ottava rima, a metre which, if Boccaccio did not invent it, he was the first to apply to such a purpose.