Ofra is an Israeli settlement located in the northern West Bank in the jurisdiction of the Mateh Binyamin Regional Council. It is situated on the main road between Jerusalem and Nablus (Route 60) and has 3,200 inhabitants (2010).
The international community considers Israeli settlements in the West Bank illegal under international law, but the Israeli government disputes this. According to human rights organization B'Tselem, the state of Israel itself has argued that much of Ofra is built on privately owned Palestinian land, making it also unlawful according to Israeli law.
In August 2016, the State of Israel admitted to the High Court of Justice that a large portion of Ofra, totalling 45 dunams, had been "mistakenly" expropriated from land privately owned by Palestinians, some of which has now been built upon with mobile and permanent structures, including in areas "located in the heart of the settlement". The state has undertaken to devise ways of restituting the land back to the rightful private Palestinian owners.
Ofra may refer to:
- Ofra, an Israeli settlement located in the northern West Bank
- Ofra Haza, an Israeli singer, actress and international recording artist (1957-2000)
- Ofra Harnoy, a Canadian cellist (born 1965)
- Ofra Bikel, a documentary filmmaker, and television producer
- Ofra Strauss, an Israeli businesswoman (born 1960)
- Operation Ofra, military name for an Israeli air strike on Iraq (1981)