It is located in the municipality of Eijsden-Margraten, quite near to the southerly border with Belgium, on the other side of which the neighbouring village of Moelingen is situated. In its northwest Mesch borders to Eijsden, whereas the town of Maastricht lies about 10 km more northerly.
The history of Mesch goes back to the 9th century, when a settlement grew around a church founded by canons from Aachen. The current church still holds fragments from this early church, making it one of the oldest churches in the Netherlands.
Mesch was a separate municipality until 1943, when it was merged with Eijsden. On September 12, 1944 it was the first village in The Netherlands that was liberated from German occupation in the second world war.
The relatively small Voer river, coming from Belgium, passes among others through this village, before draining into the Meuse river at Eijsden.
The touristic Mergellandroute also passes through this place.