Crossword clues for limpopo
Limpopo is the northernmost province of South Africa. It is named after the Limpopo River, which forms the province's western and northern borders. The name "Limpopo" has its etymological origin in the Sepedi word diphororo tša meetse, meaning "strong gushing waterfalls". The capital is Polokwane, formerly called Pietersburg.
The province was formed from the northern region of Transvaal Province in 1994, and was initially named Northern Transvaal. The following year, it was renamed Northern Province, which remained the name until 2003, when it was formally changed to Limpopo after deliberation by the provincial government and amendment of the South African Constitution. An alternate name considered for the province was Mapungubwe, the area where its most ancient gold-using civilization had been discovered a few years earlier.
Limpopo has the highest level of poverty of any South African province, with 78.9% of the population living below the national poverty line. In 2011, 74.4% of local dwellings were located in a tribal or traditional area, compared to a national average of 27.1%. The Northern Sotho or Sepedi language is spoken by more than half of Limpopo's population.
Limpopo may refer to the following places and landforms:
- Limpopo Province in South Africa.
- Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park, a peace park in the process of being formed between Mozambique, South Africa and Zimbabwe.
- Limpopo National Park, a wildlife conservation park in Mozambique.
- Limpopo River, a river in southern Africa
- Limpopo, a Russian-American folk rock band from California.