Crossword clues for leto
- Thirty Seconds to Mars frontman Jared
- Star of Netflix's "The Outsider"
- Shannon of Thirty Seconds to Mars
- Rocker/actor Jared
- Oscar-winning Jared
- Oscar winner in the band Thirty Seconds to Mars
- Oscar actor Jared
- Mother of Opollo
- Mother of divine twins, in Greek myth
- Mother of Apollo
- Joker portrayer Jared
- Jared with an Oscar for "Dallas Buyers Club"
- Jared with an Oscar
- Jared who portrayed the Joker
- Jared of Hollywood
- Jared of "Requiem for a Dream"
- Jared of "My So-Called Life"
- Jared of "Chapter 27"
- Jared of "Alexander"
- He played Pre
- Drummer Shannon
- Big-screen Joker of 2016
- Best Supporting Actor winner for "Dallas Buyers Club"
- Best Supporting Actor of 2013
- Actor/singer Jared
- Actor Jared who fronts the band 30 Seconds to Mars
- Actor Jared of 30 Seconds to Mars
- Actor Jared of "Alexander"
- Actor in the band 30 Seconds To Mars
- Academy Award winner Jared who's playing another Joker soon, because lord knows there haven't been enough of those
- 30 Seconds to Mars' singer Jared
- 30 Seconds to Mars' Shannon or Jared
- 30 Seconds to Mars' Shannon
- 30 Seconds to Mars vocalist Jared
- 30 Seconds to Mars rocker Jared
- 2014 Best Supporting Actor
- "Suicide Squad" actor Jared
- "Prefontaine" star
- "Panic Room" villain
- "My So-Called Life" heartthrob
- "My So-Called Life" actor Jared
- "Dallas Buyers Club" Oscar actor
- "Blade Runner 2049" actor Jared
- "Blade Runner 2049" actor
- "30 Seconds to Mars" singer Jared
- "30 Seconds to Mars" Shannon
- "30 Seconds to Mars" Jared
- 'Mr. Nobody' star Jared
- Mother of Apollo and Artemis
- "My So-Called Life" actor Jared who's the lead singer for 30 Seconds to Mars
- Jared of "Panic Room"
- Actor Jared who sings in 30 Seconds to Mars
- Mother of Artemis
- Daughter of Phoebe
- Duke Atreides in "Dune"
- Consort of Zeus
- Goddess pursued by Hera
- Jared of "Mr. Nobody"
- Jared of "Dallas Buyers Club"
- Actor Jared of "My So-Called Life"
- Oscar winner for "Dallas Buyers Club"
- Actor Jared of "Dallas Buyers Club"
- Oscar winner Jared of "Dallas Buyers Club"
- Wife or mistress of Zeus and mother of Apollo and Artemis in ancient mythology
- Called Latona in Roman mythology
- Apollo's mother
- A daughter of Phoebe
- Wife of Zeus
- Jared of "Suicide Squad"
- 30 Seconds to Mars' Jared
- 30 Seconds to Mars frontman Jared
- Jared who won an Oscar for "Dallas Buyers Club"
- Jared of "American Psycho"
- Jared of 'Panic Room'
- Artemis' mother
- "Dallas Buyers Club" Oscar winner Jared
- "Dallas Buyers Club" Oscar winner
- Oscar winner Jared
- Jared of "Lonely Hearts"
- 30 Seconds to Mars singer Jared
- 30 Seconds to Mars Shannon
- 2014 Oscar winner Jared
- "Panic Room" actor Jared
- "Dallas Buyers Club" actor Jared
- Jared the Oscar winner
- Jared of "Blade Runner 2049"
- Jared of 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Jared of ''Panic Room''
- Artemis's mom
- Actor/musician Jared
- Actor/musician from 30 Seconds to Mars
- Actor Jared who is in the band 30 Seconds to Mars
- Actor Jared of "Suicide Squad"
- 30 Seconds to Mars singer/actor Jared
- 30 Seconds to Mars lead singer Jared
- Titan goddess of motherhood
In Greek mythology, Leto (; Lētṓ; Λατώ, Lātṓ in Dorian Greek, etymology and meaning disputed) is a daughter of the Titans Coeus and Phoebe, the sister of Asteria, and the mother, by Zeus, of Apollo and Artemis.
The island of Kos is claimed as her birthplace. In the Olympian scheme, Zeus is the father of her twins, Apollo and Artemis, the Letoides, which Leto conceived after her hidden beauty accidentally caught the eyes of Zeus. Classical Greek myths record little about Leto other than her pregnancy and her search for a place where she could give birth to Apollo and Artemis, since Hera in her jealousy had caused all lands to shun her. Finally, she finds an island that is not attached to the ocean floor so it is not considered land and she can give birth. This is her one active mythic role: once Apollo and Artemis are grown, Leto withdraws, to remain a dim and benevolent matronly figure upon Olympus, her part already played. In Roman mythology, Leto's equivalent is Latona, a Latinization of her name, influenced by Etruscan Letun.
In Crete, at the city of Dreros, Spyridon Marinatos uncovered an eighth-century post- Minoan hearth house temple in which there were found three unique figures of Apollo, Artemis and Leto made of brass sheeting hammered over a shaped core (sphyrelata). Walter Burkert notes that in Phaistos she appears in connection with an initiation cult.
Leto was identified from the fourth century onwards with the principal local mother goddess of Anatolian Lycia, as the region became Hellenized. In Greek inscriptions, the Letoides are referred to as the "national gods" of the country. Her sanctuary, the Letoon near Xanthos predated Hellenic influence in the region, however, and united the Lycian confederacy of city-states. The Hellenes of Kos also claimed Leto as their own. Another sanctuary, more recently identified, was at Oenoanda in the north of Lycia. There was, of course, a further Letoon at Delos.
Leto's primal nature may be deduced from the natures of her father and mother, who may have been Titans of the sun and moon. Her Titan father is called "Coeus," and though Herbert Jennings Rose considers his name and nature uncertain, he is in one Roman source given the name Polus, which may relate him to the sphere of heaven from pole to pole. The name of Leto's mother, "Phoebe" (Φοίβη — literally "pure, bright"), is identical to the epithet of her son Apollo, Φοῖβος Ἀπόλλων, throughout Homer.
Leto is a goddess in Greek mythology.
Leto or LETO may also refer to:
As a name:
- Leto (surname), a list of people so named
- Leto (plant), a genus of plants in the sunflower family.
- Leto Atreides (disambiguation), three fictional characters in Frank Herbert's Dune universe
- Leto (genus), a moth genus containing the single species Leto venus
- Leto, Florida, an unincorporated community
- Leto, Guinea-Bissau, a place in the Oio Region in Guinea-Bissau
- Leto Regio, a geological feature on Phoebe, a moon of Saturn
- 68 Leto, an asteroid
- Madrid-Torrejón Airport's ICAO code
Leto is a surname. Notable people with the surname include:
- Antonio Leto (1844–1913), Italian painter
- Jared Leto (born 1971), actor and singer of band Thirty Seconds to Mars
- Julie Elizabeth Leto, American writer of romance novels
- Julius Pomponius Laetus or Pomponius Leto (1425–1498), Italian humanist
- Marco Leto (1931–2016), Italian film and television director and screenwriter
- Peter Leto, American television director and television producer
- Sebastián Leto (born 1986), Argentinian footballer
- Shannon Leto (born 1970), American drummer of band Thirty Seconds to Mars