Crossword clues for joel
- "We Didn't Start the Fire" singer Billy
- "Piano Man" pianist
- "Just the Way You Are" singer
- "Allentown" songwriter
- ''She's Always a Woman'' singer Billy
- The elder Coen brother
- Televangelist Osteen
- Sixers star Embiid
- Silver or Grey
- Rock pianist Billy
- Record of the Year winner for "Just the Way You Are"
- Oscar-winning actor Grey
- New York's Billy ___
- Nashville singer/songwriter Rakes
- McHale of "The Soup"
- Long Island-born balladeer
- Grey of stage
- Good Charlotte's singer Madden
- Good Charlotte singer Madden
- Ethan Coen's brother and directing partner
- Early host of "Mystery Science Theater 3000"
- Bronx-born piano man
- Billy, the "Piano Man"
- Billy with a piano
- Billy who sings "Piano Man"
- Billy on piano
- Billy in the Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Actor Grey
- "Uptown Girl" songwriter
- "Uptown Girl" singer Billy
- "Uptown Girl" singer
- "The Great Indoors" actor McHale
- "Tell Her About It" singer
- "Suicide Squad" actor Kinnaman
- "River of Dreams" singer Billy
- "Pressure" singer Billy
- "Piano Man" guy
- "Only the Good Die Young" Billy
- "New York State of Mind" singer
- "Just the Way You Are" songwriter
- "Community" actor McHale
- "52nd Street" performer Billy
- 'Piano Man' singer Billy
- ''Piano Man'' artist
- Book before Amos
- One of the Coen brothers
- Director Schumacher
- Follower of Hosea
- "My Life" singer, 1978
- Biblical prophet
- Billy who sang "We Didn't Start the Fire"
- "Piano Man" performer Billy
- "Piano Man" singer Billy
- Biblical preceder of 27-Down
- Prophet read on Ash Wednesday
- Follower of 21-Across
- Billy a.k.a. the Piano Man
- Spingarn of the N.A.A.C.P.'s Spingarn Medal
- Book after Hosea
- Follower of Hosea in the 31-Across
- Singer Billy ___
- Author _____ Chandler Harris
- "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me" singer Billy
- Grey or McCrea
- Book of the Bible
- Pop singer Billy
- Biblical preceder of 27-D
- Old Testament book
- Old Testament prophet
- Bible book
- Rocker Billy
- Filmmaker Coen
- One of the Minor Prophets
- "Piano Man" singer
- Singer Billy
- Grey of "Cabaret"
- Grey of ''Cabaret''
- Billy the "Piano Man"
- "We Didn't Start the Fire" singer
- "The Soup" host McHale
- "Piano Man" man
- "Piano Man" Billy
- "Community" star McHale
- One of the filmmaking Coens
- McHale of "Community"
- Billy in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Douglas Harper's Etymology Dictionary
masc. proper name, from Hebrew Yoh'el, name of a minor Old Testament prophet, literally "the Lord is God;" the same name as Elijah (q.v.) but with the elements reversed. But the personal name that became common in Devon and Cornwall and the Breton districts of Yorkshire and the Eastern Counties immediately after the Conquest is from Old Breton Iudhael, from Iud- "chief, lord" + hael "generous." It is the source of the modern British surname Joel, as well as Jewell, Joule, and Jolson.
Joel or Yoel is a name meaning "Yahweh Is God" and may refer to:
- Joel (given name), origin of the name including a list of people with the first name
- Joel (surname), a surname
Joel (prophet), a prophet of ancient Israel
- Book of Joel, a book in the Jewish Tanakh, and in the Christian Bible, ascribed to the prophet
- Joel (son of Samuel), firstborn son of Samuel
Joel (; Yoel; Yu'il) was a prophet of ancient Israel, the second of the twelve minor prophets and the author of the Book of Joel. He is mentioned by name only once in the Hebrew Bible, in the introduction to his own brief book, as the son of Pethuel . The name Joel combines the covenant name of God, YHWH (or Yahweh), and el (god), and has been translated as "one to whom YHWH is God," that is, a worshiper of YHWH.
The dates of his life are unknown; he may have lived anywhere from the 9th century BCE to the 5th century BCE, depending on the dating of his book. The book's mention of Greeks has not given scholars any help in dating the text since the Greeks were known to have had access to Judah from Mycenaean times. However, the book's mention of Judah's suffering and to the standing temple has led some scholars to place the date of the book in the post-exilic period, after the construction of the Second Temple. Joel was originally from Judah/ Judea, and, judging from its prominence in his prophecy, was quite possibly a prophet associated with the ritual of the Jerusalem temple.
According to a long-standing tradition, Joel was buried in Gush Halav.
Joel (יוֹאֵל Standard Hebrew Yoʾel, Tiberian Hebrew Yôʾēl) " Yahu is god", " YHWH is God", or the modern translation " Yahweh Is God".
Joel as a given name appears in the Hebrew Bible.
Joel is a surname. Notable people with the surname include:
- Joel family, a British family of brothers who became rich from diamond and gold mining in South Africa
- Alex Joel, American Civil Liberties Protection Officer
- Alexa Ray Joel (born 1985), American singer-songwriter and daughter of Billy Joel
- Billy Joel, an American singer-songwriter
- Karl Joel (philosopher), German philosopher
- Karl Amson Joel, German entrepreneur
- Lawrence Joel, American war hero and Medal of Honor recipient
- Manuel Joël, Silesian Jewish philosopher
- Richard M. Joel, president of Yeshiva University
- Robert Joel, American actor
Usage examples of "joel".
Joel, who was implying that it was unjust that there was no twelve-step program for serial murderers as there was for alcoholics, drug addicts, and co-dependents.
But Joel dropped out of Brockport not long after we met, and I would not see him again until the Attica visit two decades later.
As the controversy raged on, Joel, in his solitary, windowless Attica cell, forged ahead in trying to make his concept a reality.
Oddly enough, the only time I could clearly see Joel as a stone-cold killer was when I envisioned him feverishly drafting his Oholah proposal in the solitude of his Attica cell.
THE SPRING OF 2000 JOEL WAS transferred from the solitary cell at Attica to the protective custody wing at Clinton Correctional Facility in Dannemora, New York.
How could Judd tune in to Billy Joel one day, and the Head Bangers, or whoever they were, the next?
As I understand it, Joel and Harvey Broadus made a fortune in construction, developing retirement communities in the Southwest.
Joel Glazer had been on the phone with Broadus the day I talked to him.
Joel said jokingly, downplaying the intense terror he experienced on that fateful morning.
Joel always talks emotionlessly about the actual killings, he does display emotion when conveying extraneous bits of information related to the murder itself, more often than not when they could easily have resulted in his capture.
By the time Joel arrived at Brockport his desire for hookers would outweigh any academic aspirations.
Joel read it slowly and paraphrased it for Marcus, and when he finished, both men sat for a long time and cursed lawyers in general.
Joel shared his hopes of taking up skydiving so he could make a living chronicling parachutists as they made their thrilling descents.
As I sat in the dressing room preparing to embark on a professional boxing career, I kept thinking of Joel doing something equally unimaginable, like jumping out of airplanes in order to fill his portfolio with photos of parachutists drifting in the wind.
For Joel, whose life had always been ruled by his limitless phobias and fears, this was heaven on earth.