Heide is a town in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. It is the capital of the Kreis (district) Dithmarschen. Population: 21,000.
The German word Heide means " heath". In the 15th century four adjoining villages decided to build a church in the "middle of the heath". This remained the town's name to date. The exact foundation date is now unknown, but by 1447 Heide was already the main village of Dithmarschen. At this time Dithmarschen was an independent peasant republic. Heide became a town in the 19th century and now is a tourist resort.
Heide may refer to:Places
- Heide, a town in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
- Heide Park, a theme park in Lower Saxony, Germany
- Heide–Büsum Airport in Germany
- Heide, Venray, a village in the southeast of the Netherlands
- The Heide Museum of Modern Art in Bulleen, Victoria, Australia
- Huis ter Heide (disambiguation) – several objects
- Ella Heide (1871–1956), Danish painter
- Frits Heide (1883–1957), Danish botanist
- Florence Parry Heide (1919–2011), American children's writer
- Hermann auf der Heide (1911–1984), German field hockey player
- Michael von der Heide (born 1971), Swiss musician, singer, and actor
- Oscar Louis Auf der Heide (1874–1945), American politician
- Ola Heide (born 1931), botanist.
- Raoul Heide (1888–1978), Norwegian fencer
- Ruud ter Heide (born 1982), Dutch association football player
- Tami Heide, American radio personality
- Van der Heide – several people
- Wilma Scott Heide (1921–1985), American feminist author and social activist
- Heide Boikat, West German slalom canoeist
- Heide-Elke Gaugel (born 1959), German sprinter
- Heide Hatry (born 1965), German artist, curator and editor
- Heide Orth (born 1942), German tennis player
- Heide Perlman (born 1951), American television script writer
- Heidemarie Rosendahl (born 1947), German track and field athlete
- Heide Rühle (born 1948), German politician
- Heide Schröter, West German slalom canoeist
- Heide Schmidt (born 1948), Austrian politician
- Heide Seyerling (born 1976), South African sprinter
- Heide Simonis (born 1943), German politician
- Heide Wollert (born 1982), German judoka
- Heide Candy Company
Usage examples of "heide".
Der ewige Katarrh und die Kraempfe in Brust und Unterleib mochten es noetig machen, und schlechtes Wetter war ueber Jena, seit Wochen, seit Wochen, das war richtig, ein miserables und hassenswertes Wetter, das man in allen Nerven spuerte, wuest, finster und kalt, und der Dezemberwind heulte im Ofenrohr, verwahrlost und gottverlassen, dass es klang nach naechtiger Heide im Sturm und Irrsal und heillosem Gram der Seele.