gvSIG is a geographic information system (GIS), that is, a desktop application designed for capturing, storing, handling, analyzing and deploying any kind of referenced geographic information in order to solve complex management and planning problems. gvSIG is known for having a user-friendly interface, being able to access the most common formats, both vector and raster ones. It features a wide range of tools for working with geographic-like information (query tools, layout creation, geoprocessing, networks, etc.).
gvSIG is known for:
- Integrating in the same view both local (files, databases) and remote data through OGC standards.
- Being designed to be easily extendable, allowing continuous application enhancement, as well as enabling the development of tailor-made solutions.
- Being open source software, under the GNU General Public License (GPL), which allows its free use, distribution, study and improvement.
- Being available in several languages: Spanish, English UK, English USA, German, French, Italian, Portuguese, Portuguese-Brazilian, Russian, Chinese, Serbian, Swahili, Turkish, Czech, Polish, Romanian, Greek, Basque, Valencian, Galician.
- Being developed using Java, and being available for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X platforms