Housing Units (2000): 37
Land area (2000): 0.754771 sq. miles (1.954849 sq. km)
Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km)
Total area (2000): 0.754771 sq. miles (1.954849 sq. km)
FIPS code: 29950
Located within: South Carolina (SC), FIPS 45
Location: 33.220892 N, 81.172701 W
ZIP Codes (1990):
Note: some ZIP codes may be omitted esp. for suburbs.
Govan ( ; Scottish Gaelic: Baile a' Ghobhainn) is a district, parish, and former burgh now part of southwest City of Glasgow, Scotland. It is situated west of Glasgow city centre, on the south bank of the River Clyde, opposite the mouth of the River Kelvin and the district of Partick. Historically it was part of the County of Lanark.
According to medieval legend, Constantine, a 7th-century King of Strathclyde, founded a monastery under the rule of Columbanus in Govan. During the Middle Ages, Govan was the site of a ferry which linked the area with Partick for seasonal cattle drovers. In the 18th and 19th centuries, textile mills and coal mining were important; in the early 19th century shipbuilding emerged as Govan's principal industry. In 1864, Govan gained burgh status, and was Scotland's fifth largest burgh. It was incorporated into the city of Glasgow in 1912.
Govan is a district in Glasgow, Scotland. "Govan" may also refer to:
Govan is one of the 21 wards of Glasgow City Council. It represents Govan. There are 4 members for this area.
The areas within the former Govan Burgh; Drumoyne, Ibrox, Linthouse and Plantation are all included within the Ward with the addition of Shieldhall, Craigton, Bellahouston, Kinning Park, Kingston and Tradeston.
A by-election took place in this ward on 10 October 2013 following the death of SNP's councillor, Allison Hunter, and resulted in a Labour gain. The population of Govan in 2011 was 30,089, here is the ethnic makeup of Govan.
78.5% White British