Crossword clues for gorky
The Collaborative International Dictionary
Gorky \Gorky\ prop. n. An industrial city in the European part of Soviet Russia.
Syn: Gorki, Gorkiy, Nizhni Novgorod.
a. (context informal English) awkward or strange.
Gorky may refer to:People
- Maxim Gorky (1868–1936), Russian author and political activist, founder of socialist realism
- Arshile Gorky (1904–1948), Armenian-American abstract expressionist painter
- Gorky, name of Nizhny Novgorod, Soviet Union from 1932 to 1990
- Gorky Reservoir, on the Volga in Nizhny Novgorod Oblast, Russia
- 2768 Gorky, asteroid
- Gorky, original band of Luc De Vos and predecessor of his subsequent band Gorki
- Gorky, their first Album
Usage examples of "gorky".
Georgetown condo was like something out of Gorky Park, policemen in clumsy thick overcoats lumbering in and out, reporters taking notes, fumbling with their ballpoints through heavy gloves.
Then, early one Sunday morning, having been desk-bound all the week and feeling in need of exercise, Vladimir decided to go for a walk in Gorky Park.
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO The Aragvi Restaurant was located on Gorky Street, just past Central Telegraph.
The melancholy roll-call of real-life suicides among the Abstract Expressionists again: Gorky by hanging in 1948, Pollock and then almost immediately Kitchen, by drunken driving and then pistol in 1956 -- and then Rothko with all possible messiness by knife in 1970.
Slightly more ambitious projects are, at the time of writing, being performed at the Gorky Radiophysical Institute in the Soviet Union and at NRAO in the United States.
Indeed, the ongoing search at the Gorky Radiophysical Institute, in the Soviet Union, involves telescopes and instrumentation that are quite modest by contemporary standards.
He stopped into a Torgsin store on Gorky Street, which sold scarce goods, unavailable to any Russians, for valuta, hard currency.