"GBI (German Bold Italic)" is a song by Japanese American music producer Towa Tei, featuring vocals from Australian singer Kylie Minogue, Japanese musician Haruomi Hosono, and co-written by Tei and Minogue. It is the lead single from Tei's second studio album, Sound Museum (1997), released by Arthrob in the United Kingdom. The song is a "minimalist" house- techno track with lyrics portrayed Minogue as a typeface called "German Bold Italic," with her vocals performed in a tongue-in-cheek style.
Many critics praises the song for its distinctiveness from Minogue's catalogue, with others notice the track as one of the important artistic moves that define her musical career. Commercially, the song was one of her least successful track on the charts. It peaked at number 50 in Australia and failed to reach top 50 in the United Kingdom with number 63. However, it was said to be a minor hit in Tei's home country, Japan.
The song's music video was directed by French director Stéphane Sednaoui and inspired by a mutual appreciation of Japanese culture between him and Minogue. It features scenes of Minogue dressing as a geisha throughout New York City streets.
The song was later added to Tei's first greatest hits album called Best (2001).
GBI may refer to:
Galela language, ISO 639-3 code gbi, not to be confused with
- Gbi language
- Gbii language
- Gbin (Gbĩ) language
- Gbi & Doru District in Liberia
- "GBI: German Bold Italic", a song by Towa Tei featuring Kylie Minogue
- General Behavior Inventory, a questionnaire to assess depressive and hypomanic mood symptoms
- Genius Brands International, an American entertainment company
- Georgia Bureau of Investigation, an agency of the U.S. state of Georgia that assists the state's police departments and courts
- Gereja Bethel Indonesia, a group of Christian Pentecostal churches in Indonesia
, the Swiss Trade union for Construction and Industry
- Global Brain Institute, a research group studying the Global brain at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel
- "Government Bond Index-Emerging Markets" in the JPMorgan GBI-EM Index
- Grand Bahama Island, an island of the Bahamas
- Great Barrier Island, a large island of New Zealand
- Great bodily injury, a legal term used in the California Penal Code
- Green Bank Interferometer, a radio telescope that used to exist at Green Bank, West Virginia (USA)
- Green Building Index, an energy efficiency rating for buildings
- Ground Based Interceptor, a US missile designed to intercept and destroy incoming ballistic missile warheads
- Gulf Bridge International, a subsea cable operator
- SU-GBI, the Aircraft registration number for EgyptAir Flight 843 which crashed in 2002