Crossword clues for gahan
Gahan may refer to:
- Gahan (surname), origin of the surname
- Charles Joseph Gahan (1862–1939), entomologist
- Dave Gahan (not his birth name), British singer
- Gordon Gahan, photographer
- William Gahan, Irish priest
Gahan (and its variant Gahame) is a surname with several different origins. One origin of the surname is from a reduced form of McGahan, which is in turn an Anglicised form of the Irish language Mac Eacháin, meaning "son of Eachán". Another origin of the name, in Leinster, is from a reduced form of the Irish language Ó Gaoithin, meaning "descendant of Gaoithín". The personal nameGaoithín is a diminutive of gaoth, meaning "wise", or "wind". In Connacht, Ó Gaoithin is sometimes Anglicised as Wynne or Wyndham. Occasionally, the surname Gahan may be an Anglicised form of the Irish language Mac Gaoithín, meaning "son of Gaoithín", although the more common Anglicised form of this Gaelic name is McGeehan in Ulster.