Crossword clues for etzel
Etzel may refer to:
- Etzel, a Middle High German name used by the second husband of Kriemhild of Burdundy in the Nibelungenlied, in a more wider sense also used to designate Attila the Hun, or the Roman general Flavius Aetius, who sacked the Burgundy stronghold of Worms with the help of Hun troops
- Etzel (Irgun Tzvai-Leumi), the common Israeli name for Irgun Tzvai-Leumi, or Irgun, a Zionist paramilitary group that operated in the British Mandate of Palestine from 1931 to 1948
- Etzel (mountain), a mountain in the Alps in Switzerland.
- Etzel (ship), a preserved 1934 motor ship on Lake Zurich in Switzerland
- Etzel, Friedeburg, a village in the German municipality of Friedeburg, Lower Saxony
The Etzel is a mountain on the south side of Lake Zürich in Switzerland. Although its elevation, of , is relatively modest, it is notable for its aspect when viewed from the lake and its surroundings. It is also well known for its views over the lake, and there is a mountain inn at the summit.
The mountain forms part of the Schwyzer Alps mountain range, and lies in the canton of Schwyz. Its summit and slopes are divided between the municipalities of Feusisberg, which lies to the north, and Einsiedeln, which lies to the south.
The mountain has given its name to the 1934-built MV Etzel, now preserved on Lake Zürich.
The MS Etzel is a preserved motor ship on Lake Zürich in Switzerland. She was built for the Zürichsee-Schifffahrtsgesellschaft (Lake Zurich Navigation Company) in 1934, and operated for them until she was retired in 2001. She is now owned and operated by the Etzel society, a society specifically created to preserve her.
The Etzel is named after the Etzel, a mountain overlooking Lake Zurich. She was built by Escher Wyss & Cie., has an overall length of , an overall width of , and a capacity of 150 passengers.
The Etzel is available for charter. In addition, the owning society organises occasional excursions aboard the vessel.