Crossword clues for elvas
Elvas is a Portuguese municipality, an episcopal city and frontier fortress of Portugal, located in the district of Portalegre in Alentejo. It is situated about east of Lisbon, and about west of the Spanish fortress of Badajoz, by the Madrid-Badajoz-Lisbon railway. The municipality population was 23,078, in an area of . The city itself had a population of 15,155 .
Elvas is among the finest examples of intensive usage of the trace italienne ( star fort) in military architecture, and has been a World Heritage Site since 30June 2012. The inscribed site name is Garrison Border Town of Elvas and its Fortifications.
Elvas may refer to:
- Elvas, Portugal, a municipality in Portugal.
- Diocese de Elvas, a historical Portuguese diocese created in 1571, extinct 1882.
- Castle of Elvas (known as Castelo de Elvas in Portuguese), a Portuguese castle.
- Rádio Elvas, Alto Alentejo's Local radiostation, Portugal.
- Elvas River, a river of Minas Gerais state in southeastern Brazil.
- O Elvas C.A.D., a football club based in Portalegre, Alentejo.
- Cancioneiro de Elvas (in English: Elvas Songbook), one of the four Renaissance songbooks of Portuguese music from the 16th century
- Battle of the Lines of Elvas, was fought on 14 January 1659, in Elvas, between Portugal and Spain.
- Tratado de Elvas
- Elvas Freeway