Dungarvan is a coastal town and harbour in County Waterford, on the south coast of Ireland. Prior to the merger of Waterford County Council with Waterford City Council in 2014, Dungarvan was the county town and administrative centre of County Waterford. Waterford City and County Council retains administrative offices in the town. The town's Irish name means "Garbhann's fort", referring to Saint Garbhann who founded a church there in the seventh century. The town lies on the N25 road ( European route E30), which connects Cork, Waterford and Rosslare Europort.
Dungarvan is situated at the mouth of the Colligan River, which divides the town into two parishes - that of Dungarvan to the west, and that of Abbeyside to the east -, these being connected in three places by a causeway and single-span bridge built by the Dukes of Devonshire starting in 1801; by an old railway bridge; and by a ring-road causeway and bridge. A friary in Abbeyside, founded by Augustinians in the 13th century, is partially incorporated with the structure of a 20th-century Roman Catholic church. One of the most significant colleges in the town was also founded by these Augustinians whose order survives and maintains an Augustinian church nearer to the Main Street.
In everyday local usage, "Dungarvan" is taken to refer to the western, less suburban half of the town, where the administrative buildings and shopping areas are situated. A castle, commissioned around the 12th-13th centuries by King John of England, stands by the harbour. But no trace of the walls John built remain.
Dungarvan was a parliamentary constituency in Ireland, which from 1801 to 1885 returned one Member of Parliament (MP) to the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom.
The constituency was created when the Union of Great Britain and Ireland took effect on 1 January 1801, replacing the earlier Dungarvan constituency in the Parliament of Ireland.
Dungarvan was a constituency represented in the Irish House of Commons until 1800.