DBPF, or Database-Packed File, is a file used by Electronic Arts to store and index data inside a single file for several computer games. These games include SimCity 4, The Sims 2, The Sims Online, Spore/ Spore Creature Creator, The Sims 3, Tetris Blitz, SimCity remake and The Sims 4.
This particular file format uses more than one filename extension. These include:
- .dat (Data provided with the SimCity 4, user downloadable plugins/ mods for SimCity 4)
- .SC4Model (User created building models for SimCity 4)
- .SC4Lot (User created lots for SimCity 4)
- .SC4 (Savegame file provided with SimCity 4, User created savegame files for SimCity 4)
- .Package (Data provided with The Sims 2, user downloadable plugins/mods for The Sims 2, data files for SPORE, data files for The Sims 3 and data files for SimCity)
- .db (internal use in games such as Tetris Blitz)
In most cases, DBPF files are not named with a .dbpf extension; one can determine that the file is a DBPF file by looking at its header in a hex editor. The first four bytes in ASCII of every DBPF file read DBPF.