Crossword clues for dano
Dano, also called Surit-nal, is a Korean traditional holiday that falls on the 5th day of the fifth month of the lunar Korean calendar. It is an official holiday in North Korea and one of the major traditional holidays in South Korea. South Korea has retained several festivals related to the holiday, one of which is Gangneung Dano Festival (강릉단오제) designated by UNESCO as a "Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity".
In the Mahan confederacy of ancient Korea, this was a day of spiritual rites, and enjoyment with song, dance, and wine. Traditionally, women washed their hair in water boiled with Sweet Flag (changpo (창포)), believed to make one's hair shiny. People wore blue and red clothes and dyed hairpins red with the iris roots. Men wore iris roots around their waist to ward off evil spirits. Herbs wet with dew on this morning were said to heal stomachaches and wounds. Traditional foods include surichitteok, ssuktteok, and other herb rice cakes.
The persisting folk games of Dano are the swing, ssireum (씨름), stone battle game seokjeon and taekkyon (택견). The swing was a game played by women, while ssireum was a wrestling match among men. In addition, mask dance used to be popular among peasants due to its penchant for satirical lyrics flouting local aristocrats.
Dano may refer to:
- Dano (name)
- Dano (Sindhi tribe) in Pakistan
- Ken Daneyko (born 1964), Canadian retired National Hockey League player nicknamed "Dano"
- Dano Department, a department or commune in Burkina Faso
- Dano, Burkina Faso, a town and capital of the department
- Dano (woreda), a district in the Oromia Region of Ethiopia
- Dano language of Papua New Guinea
- Dano (Korean festival), the Korean equivalent of the Double Fifth festival
- BeOS R5.1d0, a prerelease of the Be Operating System also known as Dano
Dano is the name of a Sindhi tribe in Sindh, Pakistan.
Category:Sindhi tribes Category:Social groups of Pakistan
Dano is one of the woredas in the Oromia Region of Ethiopia. Part of the Mirab Shewa Zone, Dano is bordered on the southwest by the Jimma Zone, on the north by Cheliya, and on the southeast by Nono; part of the boundary with the Jimma Zone is defined by the Gibe River. The major town in Dano is Sayo.
Although coffee is an important cash crop of this woreda, less than 20 square kilometers are planted with this crop.
Dano is both a surname and a given name. Notable people with the name include:
- Linda Dano (born 1943), American actress
- Paul Dano (born 1984), American actor and producer
- Royal Dano (1922-1994), American actor
- Dano Halsall (born 1963), Swiss former swimmer
- Dano Pantić (born 1972), Serbian judoka
- Dano Raffanti (born 1948), Italian operatic tenor