The city of Cobán is the capital of the department of Alta Verapaz in central Guatemala. It also serves as the administrative center for the surrounding Cobán municipality. It is located 219 km from Guatemala City.
In 2014, the population was estimated at 250,675 inhabitants. The population of the municipality, which covers a total area of 1312 km², was approximately 94,000 people in 2005. Cobán, at a height of 1320 m above sea level, is located at the center of a major coffee-growing area.
Çoban is a Turkish name meaning shepherd and may refer to:
- Ayşegül Çoban (born 1992), Turkish female weightlifter
- Damla Çoban (born 1996), Turkish women's footballer
- Hüsamettin Çoban, 13th century commander of the Anatolian Seljuks
- Kenan Çoban (born 1975), Turkish actor
- Mehmet Çoban (1905-1969), Turkish Olympian wrestler
- Bekir Çoban-zade (1893-1937), Crimean Tatar poet
- Çoban Mustafa Pasha (14th century–1529), Ottoman statesman and governor of Egypt