The station originally signed on in 1975 at 1340 AM as CKMG, until it moved to its current frequency in 1993. The CFOR callsign was adopted in 1999. (The CFOR callsign was formerly used at a radio station in Orillia, Ontario).
The station is currently owned by Radio CFOR Inc.
On October 27, 2009, the station applied to add an FM transmitter at Mont-Laurier, Quebec and was denied by the CRTC on April 16, 2010. If approved, the new transmitter would have broadcast on 98.3 MHz.